Associated Banc-Corp

There are newer employer reviews for Associated Banc-Corp

Plenty of Room for Incentive

Current Employee - Personal Banker I  in  Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Personal Banker I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Great incentive pay, great pay in general
*Actively involved senior management
*Work-life balance can't be duplicated easily
*Expanding

Cons

*Micro-management, but it comes with the territory of being a bank
*Upward movement is hard to come by, regardless of performance
*Inadequate training
*Lengthy hiring process (anticipate a month from your interview to being placed)

Focus on guiding employees to success and teach them how to use their resources and tools right from the get-go, there definitely is a learning curve.

88 Other Employee Reviews for Associated Banc-Corp (View Most Recent)

Fine pay but bad management and stupid goals

Former Employee - Teller  in  Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Teller in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for less than a year

Pros

They paid me more than other banks to do less. They have a lot of technological advances that were nice to work with.

Cons

Management was unbearable. Once you're comfortable they really open up how things actually operate. Branch manager was pushy and cared only about the numbers and district manager belittled BM in front of other employees. The goals were unreasonable and caused harassment of customers and lying in order to keep your job. Kept just enough staff that if it was a slow day they would send you home, flip out over your lack of something to do, or tell you to read brochures. If someone called in it through off everything and branch manager would be upset over anyone calling in sick for themselves or their child (unless it was BM's child then it's totally ok to miss work).

-Numbers aren't everything
    -If you tell employees they can't take their 15 minute breaks and freak out if they're 2 minutes late do not show up late every single day
    -Customers do not want to be sent to a banker every time they come in so you can sell them crap
    -Coaching is fine...but when it comes to the point of telling someone how to say "Hello" to a customer it's excessive

No Prospect for Career Advancement

Former Employee - Corporate Officer  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Officer in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were nice, as are most Wisconsinites. CEO Phil Flynn definitely has his act together; I was extremely impressed with him.

Cons

I worked for corporate, and I left Associated because I believed there was little prospect for long-term career advancement. Associated Bank really doesn't have a strong identity as a company (although I believe the CEO is trying to change that). I believe the reason for this is that the Bank is just an agglomeration of smaller Wisconsin/Midwest banks, and it didn't achieve it's current size by growing organically.

The reason I left was that Associated seems to only bring in outside talent to fix all of its (many) problems. Most of the Senior Executives hired under Phil's watch were hired from Union Bank in California or other outside banks. There were no in-house promotions (perhaps rightfully so). However, I left because I didn't believe that there ever would be any future in-house promotions; vacancies would continue to be filled from outside the company.

Overall, I just got the sense that no matter how well I performed, in 20 years, I had no chance at all of assuming a leadership position within the company (I have the credentials: an undergrad and grad degree from Wisconsin). However, this is the type of company you parachute into as an executive, not the type of company that will develop or invest in you.

Oh, additionally, I also found I was paid significantly less than my fellow co-workers who were hired externally. My advice would be to avoid starting your career here.

Create A Leadership Development Program

There are newer employer reviews for Associated Banc-Corp

Worked for Associated Banc-Corp? Contribute to the Community!