Associated Press
www.ap.org New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

It's a living, but you'll have no life

Assistant Editor (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Associated Press full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou'll never have to explain who you work for or fight to get your phone calls returned. The name of the AP still opens doors and career opportunities. When it comes to journalistic standards and quality, it's still top of the class.
If working for a major global news organization is your goal, you could do far worse.

ConsThe work is 24/7/365. It's like being on a treadmill that's constantly speeding up as you run. Management is trying to adapt to the new media environment and thinks the answer is to squeeze more out of the existing staff.
Nobody cares much about work/life balance here, regardless of the in-house gym or nursing room. You're on your own in that department.

A good company that used to be great.

News Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Associated Press full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Major, international news operation that provides an opportunity to cover news around the world. Still tops when it comes to reporting news, without slant or bias. There… Cons: Fewer and fewer people are asked to do more and more. It's an organization run by newspaper folks, for newspaper folks, and still doesn't really get… Advice to Senior Management: Staff is working tons of overtime, and burning out, to… – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

OK

I have been working at Associated Press

Pros: Some very smart people and interesting work. Great place… Cons: Bureaucracy is a big problem, terrible company culture, No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Associated Press.

Worked for Associated Press? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Associated Press reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Associated Press CEO Gary Pruitt. All reviews posted anonymously by Associated Press employees.