There are newer employer reviews for Associated Wholesalers

AWI can feel like a family at times, but can also feel quite dysfunctional.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Robesonia, PA
Former Employee - Supervisor in Robesonia, PA

I worked at Associated Wholesalers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

AWI offers a fair salary. Most hourly and a few salary employees are nice to work with and generally have the best interest of the company at heart. Most customers are very pleasant to interact with, which allows you to feel invested in their success or failure. The company makes great strides to offer newer technology/equipment, but all too often does not follow through with training or making sure all functions were purchased in order to use said equipment/programs properly.

Cons

Too many "bottom dollar" practices, which too often results in customer and employee irritation. Management turnover rate is every few years which causes implementation of previously failed policies (not quick to listen to long term employees suggestions). Mid-level management (depending on the department) often fails to communicate important information, which results in easily avoidable and often costly errors. Upper management often negatively targets employees based on personal feelings rather than fact.

Advice to Management

As someone who dedicated almost a decade of their life to this company, I have had the pleasure of working with some great people. I have also had the displeasure of working under a few people who used their authority for personal gain. My advice to management would be to listen to their employees and talk to lower level employees and supervisors to find out what is going on within a department. Focus on the positive in employees and what they have accomplished for your company, instead of the negative which can always be corrected or is explainable.

Other Employee Reviews for Associated Wholesalers

1. Good place to start an IT career

Former Employee - Web Developer in York, PA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in York, PA

Pros

Great co-workers Patient with new employees at they learn Relaxed work environment Flexible hours (8 hours a day, but can arrive between about 6am and 10am)

Cons

The co-op principles seem to make for less funds for salaries and workplace luxuries Ability for IT employees to telecommute, but it is not used regularly

Advice to Management

The co-op principles are great for customer stores and obviously essential to follow to keep customers happy; however, I think putting a little more money into salary and office luxuries (dual monitors for all, ability to telecommute, free donuts (instead of requiring employees to buy them for meetings)) would keep great employees longer and bring more in.

2. New England Regional Sales Manager

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Robesonia, PA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Robesonia, PA

Pros

Customers, Staff, Environment, Knowledgeable, Growth

Cons

I loved what I did. I never had a morning that when I got up I said I don't look forward to the day. No Cons working at AWI.

Advice to Management

Keep communications open, as always