There are newer employer reviews for Assurant

Assurant

Former Employee - Claims Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Assurant

Pros

Assurant use to have a great benefits package, and annual bonuses. And they treat there employees well when you first start.

Cons

Every 3 years they do a employee cleaning. They stopped giving out the annual bonuses and the montly quota bonuses. Then they started the monthly audits that changed without notice and started laying people off based on who they liked and dont like, based on your audit performance.

Right people wrong job. Hire people who acutally know what they are going.

178 Other Employee Reviews for Assurant (View Most Recent)

Need other companies to work for in the area other then Assurant!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lawton, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lawton, OK

I have been working at Assurant

Pros

Assurant has great health coverage. They Also give you some good time off. In the job market here It is an overall good company to work for.

Cons

Assurant at this point is only looking at the money, I know that is a big part of running a business. But I remember when Assurant cared about their employees and families. It just seems to be a popularity contest. They don't give you the tools you need to improve or the training needed. The Training department is a joke, don't get me wrong there is a few trainers thats good but the person Running the training department needs to go!

I think you should take a second look at the promotion process in Lawton, there is some great agents I see get over looked because they just don't do good in interviews, what it should come down to is, "can they do the job or not?".

It's Fortune 500

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Assurant

Pros

Flexible work schedule and support for telecommuting. Some positive moves towards modernization and cost reduction which, if carried out correctly, could remove much of the dead wood, making way for more energetic employees.

Cons

Very poor approach to software development. Lack of methodology in software development, antiquated systems, lack of communication on the part of business analysts and management. Talented developers had a way of turning invisible to middle managers and were thus, forced to look elsewhere for professional and personal development.

My middle manager was wholly unresponsive when it came to fulfilling administrative duties. I was treated pretty badly after giving notice. Not so much as a "thanks" and "good job" on delivering a stable set of code that was liked by end users. I don't take personally anymore; it's the way of the big company. But sadly, weak middle managers never seem to learn that they way they treat departing team members is observed by those who remain behind. In short: their behavior demoralizes. Good leadership requires empathy and not just treating colleagues like throw-away disposable wrappers peeled off candy bars. There is very little incentive for anyone to make a long term commitment to an organization that views them as "useful" for short periods of time only. In fairness to AIZ, I think the attitude predominates in any Fortune 500 company, hence the turnover rates in corporate IT departments. The old days of IBM and HP are gone.

While at the company, I noticed that some middle managers were able to acquire hangers-on in an effort to bolster their "management" umph. "I have X number of people reporting to me... " Entire teams of people surfing the 'net all day, but some of that is going away with the restructuring/off-shoring/in-sourcing strategy. The company does have talented developers, but middle managers with no development experience hire people often times in order make themselves more important on paper. In fact, improvements in methodology and more forensic work at the beginning of projects would go a long way towards keeping staffing costs down while improving the quality and delivery of software.

The software development methodology was rather unique at Assurant. Build the software with weak requirements and specifications, turn it over to the business unit and then spend many months letting them go back in and do a gap analysis/new round of requirements gathering. I have never seen anything like it.

One senior middle manager was fairly abusive towards employees and was shameless enough to belittle people in front of others. Women in corporate America tend to get away with so much and it's unfortunate that toxic personalities like hers are allowed to poison the waters.

Quite a few people would be happy working at AIZ. It's large and not very agile, so people looking for that kind of steady, slow work life would do well here. New college grads could find mentors among the talented developers (and there are several around). There are however quite a few stresses related to the lack of structure in the software development life cycle.

I had one teammate who complained non-stop about having to work until the wee hours of the morning for months on end. These situations should never be allowed to develop since all they do is demoralize teams, further weaken inexperienced middle managers and drive people out the door.

Directors need to be competent and intimately familiar with the area of concerns they manage.

There are newer employer reviews for Assurant

Worked for Assurant? Contribute to the Community!