Assurant
www.assurant.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

A wonderful company, Assurant, must focus more on it's key employees, the lower level ones.

Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

ProsAssurant is a very employee-oriented company. It's been rated one of the best places to work for a reason. Luckily, I have the privilege of working at the Miami, FL campus. Because of our unique location, we have several amenities not offered at other offices, such as the Atlanta, GA office. We have the luxury of having a day care and elementary school on site. We have a huge cafeteria and wide selection of foods for breakfast, lunch and snacks through our vendor Sodexho. We have a small grocery store downstairs, along with a mini-post office, a federal credit union, an ATM machine, a gym, a dry cleaners, and multiple recreational parks out back. Some of the recreational facilities include: basketball, baseball, and tennis courts as well as a soccer field. Assurant Miami really does offer great tools to ensure employee retention. Assurant also offers various, extensive employee benefits. Most importantly, Assurant employees are granted with full Health insurance the day they begin work. Compared to other large companies, this is a great benefit as most other companies make employees wait 30 to 90 days to receive insurance. Assurant also offers pension plans, 401(k) plans, the option to purchase Assurant stock, automatic life insurance coverage, dental and vision insurance. Assurant offers up to $5,000 worth of reimbursement for continuing education for those pursuing degrees or certifications in relation to their current positions or advancement paths. Assurant offers a bundled package of sick and holiday paid time off. Each year that you are an Assurant employee, you receive more and more paid time off. Assurant has recently implemented the "ONE" project, which is a way of saying thank you for choosing us as your employer. After being a permanent employee with Assurant, you receive a certificate, and the option to choose from a catalog worth of gifts that are yours to keep. The ever popular ICUE program is also a great recognition program that has been in cycle for many years. This program allows any employee, no matter your rank, to award others with bronze, gold, and platinum awards for doing a great job.

ConsSince Assurant is such a large company, management styles, recognition programs, and expectations vary throughout the two hundred departments we have at the Miami campus alone. This being so, salary can also vary quite drastically. From my knowledge, the lowest pay offered at Assurant is in the mail room and day care. The compensation ratio between lower and higher level employees is extremely wide. There is no reason why a mail room worker should make $8/hr and a SVP $430k+ a year. Upper level management should focus more on connecting with those employees below them, ensuring they understand their expectations, and offering guidance. Instead, most of the Directors, Vice Presidents and so forth, act as intimidation for leading the company toward success. This is not the sort of attitude that Executives of a Fortune 500 company should have.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees. Stay connected. Make them feel valued. Praise them for their good work. And, most importantly, offer them with career paths. So many departments at Assurant offer zero career paths for their workers. A huge step in ensuring employee retention, at least within the department, is making sure they understand how they can advance. Make sure they have guidelines as to how they can do better, how they can get a raise, and how they can move up the Corporate ladder. Without an advancement plan, employees start to be unmotivated, they don't care about their work, they start to hate coming to work, and eventually quit. This can all be prevented with more focus and attention from Senior Management.

Assurant is just like all companies with many pros and cons; overall, a good company to work for.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Assurant

Pros: -The benefits are some of the best, including a company-paid pension. -Subsidized cafeteria which keeps meals cheap. -Friendly, warm people to work with. -Depending on… Cons: -Not all business units allow managers to telecompute on a regular basis. -Poor working conditions; small desk cubes, and noise level is so high one can't… Advice to Senior Management: Where practical, allow workers to telecommute on a regular basis. Improve individuals working conditions so they can be more productive. Add health club… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Assurant...I've finally found the employer I've been looking for.

Quality Improvement Specialist (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Assurant

Pros: They are a great company with an awesome reputation in the business world. We always have great ratings with the stock holders and our… Cons: The only downside is not having the possibility of working remote from home. With the price of gas these days, the appeal of driving… Advice to Senior Management: Please consider the benefit of working from home. Not only does the company save money by being able to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Assurant.

Worked for Assurant? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Assurant reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Assurant CEO Rob Pollock. All reviews posted anonymously by Assurant employees.