AstraZeneca
www.astrazeneca.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Great experience, but felt a bit out of the loop

Medicinal Chemistry Placement Student (Current Employee)
Alderley Park, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca as an intern for more than a year

ProsSocial - most people in your team/section have tea together. Often, large lunch groups form.
Great food - very good restaurant for lunch, tho the prices started to creep up quite high.

Good facilities - usually have access to all the equipment you would want.

Plenty of consumables budget.

Sense of community/belonging.

Opportunities for secondments and further training

Great sports clubs and facilities.

ConsFor me, I felt very disconnected from the projects I worked on, as I was quite junior, I wasn't invited to design meetings - I'd just be given a target list. This quickly became tiresome, just feeling like a chemistry machine without purpose.

Whilst I was there (2007-2008), we hit recession and the company restructured, with a whole section losing their jobs in one afternoon. That was a tough experience for everybody.

AZ don't seem to have a clear vision for their product pipeline. This makes me worry about their future. The solution is not to just keep buying out biological companies.

Often, there was too much emphasis on effociency and six-sigma, rather than thinking more carefully about how targets are designed and distributed to chemists.

No communication happened between chemists and biologists (and others). This only happened at a team leader level.

Many projects seemed to have stagnated - they had been around a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrug discovery is inherently interdisciplinary. Make time to allow all departments on a project to communicate with all members of that project team. Also, involve all medicinal chemists in the design process. This will prevent stagnation and breed creativity, to push on projects faster.

Think less about how a process fits into the lean sigma strategy and more about how to get te best quality from the molecules and data you generate, rather than just making things quickly.

The career progression path is a bit mystical to new recruits.

The place I opened my eyes i this business.

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great products. Lovely people. Culture and values resonates with… Cons: Work/life balance and compensation still need to improve. Change moment… Advice to Senior Management: Be more flexible! transformation from a sales driven company to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Good experience

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Numerous resources available to employees to consuct business Cons: Operationally inefficient heavily weighted by compliance Advice to Senior Management: Restructure sales force one sales representative per territory increase… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on AstraZeneca.

Worked for AstraZeneca? Contribute to the Community!

AstraZeneca – Why Work for Us?

Our mission is to create a meaningful difference. In the lives of the patients we serve. And the people who work here.   We are AstraZeneca. More than 57,000 employees strong, we have a presence in over 100 countries… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AstraZeneca reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot. All reviews posted anonymously by AstraZeneca employees.