AstraZeneca

www.astrazeneca.com
  www.astrazeneca.com
There are newer employer reviews for AstraZeneca

Great experience, but felt a bit out of the loop

Current Employee - Medicinal Chemistry Placement Student in Alderley Park, England (UK)

I have been working at AstraZeneca as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Social - most people in your team/section have tea together. Often, large lunch groups form.
Great food - very good restaurant for lunch, tho the prices started to creep up quite high.

Good facilities - usually have access to all the equipment you would want.

Plenty of consumables budget.

Sense of community/belonging.

Opportunities for secondments and further training

Great sports clubs and facilities.

Cons

For me, I felt very disconnected from the projects I worked on, as I was quite junior, I wasn't invited to design meetings - I'd just be given a target list. This quickly became tiresome, just feeling like a chemistry machine without purpose.

Whilst I was there (2007-2008), we hit recession and the company restructured, with a whole section losing their jobs in one afternoon. That was a tough experience for everybody.

AZ don't seem to have a clear vision for their product pipeline. This makes me worry about their future. The solution is not to just keep buying out biological companies.

Often, there was too much emphasis on effociency and six-sigma, rather than thinking more carefully about how targets are designed and distributed to chemists.

No communication happened between chemists and biologists (and others). This only happened at a team leader level.

Many projects seemed to have stagnated - they had been around a long time.

Drug discovery is inherently interdisciplinary. Make time to allow all departments on a project to communicate with all members of that project team. Also, involve all medicinal chemists in the design process. This will prevent stagnation and breed creativity, to push on projects faster.

Think less about how a process fits into the lean sigma strategy and more about how to get te best quality from the molecules and data you generate, rather than just making things quickly.

The career progression path is a bit mystical to new recruits.

476 Other Employee Reviews for AstraZeneca (View Most Recent)

Friendly working environment, scientific oriented

Former Employee - Post Doctoral Scientist in Gothenburg (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Post Doctoral Scientist in Gothenburg (Sweden)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good culture. A lot of activities.

Cons

bureaucracy. Too much time on paper work and boring meetings.

Company Culture improving, product pipeline going down..

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the managers are good . Work life balance ( based on your manager ). Excellent current profile.

Cons

Below Par packages. Matrix focused. Focus not on retaining staff but hiring new persons.

Develop programs for individual growth . Consider importance of loyalty .

There are newer employer reviews for AstraZeneca