There are newer employer reviews for AstraZeneca

Great company to work for......6 years ago!

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products before generics became available
Excellent benefits and salary
Good training program in Wilmington

Cons

Memorized product "messages"
Measure "reach", "frequency" and "computer screen shown" as opposed to sales results and abilities
Shed experienced reps for less expensive reps
Very poor outlook for the future

Advice to Management

Focus on what worked in the past for R&D when the blockbusters drugs were developed. Capitalize on the talent in your sales force rather than losing credibility and access with the "share of voice" pod selling mentality. I think that the industry has reached the level of diminishing returns from that methodology.

reviews filtered by
  1. Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Manager in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Westborough, MA

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good people... There is a fantastic culture at AZ and it shows in its people. They are good with work life balance.

Cons

The company is downsizing in the manufacturing market and the pipeline is not that great, but they are investing heavily in research

2. It was a great ride with great drugs until the the pipeline ran dry.

Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Sebring, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Sebring, FL

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is an excellent career, calling on physicians is challanging but rewarding. Benifits are great like most large companies can offer. Medical, Matching 401K, Company car etc. I was a person who loved the freedom to set my own schedule and the ability to drive from office to office.

Cons

Over the past decade senior management diminidshed the value of its sales personal. It has become more about delivering marketing messages than sales. Reps are told who to see, how many times they had to see them, what to say, and how it had to be said. They have relied heavily on contract sales forces often duplicating efforts putting a strain on physicians time and relationships.

Advice to Management

One thing I learned is that management will do what they want and pay little attention to its sales force. They look at the sales force as a necessay evil and has tried many ways to deminish its role. I would say go back to trusting your people and eliminate the huge middle management. One DM can oversee twelve to twenty reps. Go back to the hard fast rule of no more that two reps per physician.

There are newer employer reviews for AstraZeneca