There are newer employer reviews for AstraZeneca

Drug Discovery Veteran with Great Benefits

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Waltham, MA
Current Employee - Research Scientist in Waltham, MA

I have been working at AstraZeneca

Pros

AstraZeneca is a good place to work, and they have a long history in drug discovery, so it's also a great place to learn. There are several employees with 20+ years of experience and they're valuable resources. The compensation is inline with industry standards and the benefits are some of the best available. 6% match, dollar for dollar, on 401k, a retirement plan too, all the usual health care benefits, signing bonus, cost of living adjustments and relocation $$, and a very strong annual bonus system -- 20-30% in cash, and the same percentage in LTI stock.

Cons

The downside is that the company loyalty is strong and very few people leave the company, resulting in limited promotion opportunities. Since pharma is contracting right now, many of the divisions are not growing, so that also limits opportunities. The annual salary adjustments are usually 3-4%, which is sometimes out of line with inflation, but the bonus can make up for it.

Keep the research sites separate, as it is good to have individualism as long as we share best pactices between sites for everyone's improvement.

457 Other Employee Reviews for AstraZeneca (View Most Recent)

The Worst Company I Have Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Franklin, TN

I worked at AstraZeneca

Pros

AstraZeneca offers a very competitive salary and great benefits. It was hard for me to leave the company because of this but the old saying is true "money doesn't buy happiness". Neither does good benefits.

Cons

I was so excited to be working for a major pharmaceutical firm. My excited quickly turned to dispair. I was miserable working at AstraZeneca. It is a highly competitive environment. Most of the people that I worked with there were backstabbing snobs. I did a great job but it never seemed to be enough. If you are not aligned with the right people you have no future and cannot advance or even get a raise. I wanted a job, not to get back into high school cliques.

Communication from management was almost non-existent. There are too many levels of management.

If you cannot play the office politics game you will not make it here.

N/A

Good Company, great benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at AstraZeneca

Pros

Overall, a great company to work for, if you not in IS

Cons

IS/IT departments are a mess, with 3 reorganizations in 3 years - Outsourcing startegy hasn't worked too well, and senior IS leadership is unwilling to acknowledge this.

N/A