Challenging technical work

Former Employee - Engineer
Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Astronautics

Pros

- Work on high tech products
- Ability to advance quickly and take on greater responsibility
- Relaxed environment with friendly people

Cons

- Poorly managed large projects have reduced employee morale
- Lack of communication between disciplines
- Engineering and Manufacturing are not in the same location

Advice to Management

Create positions where project engineers are focused on tracking and maintaining the schedule for large projects. Have employees focus on either project management or technical design, but not both.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Frustrating company to work for.

Current Employee - Hardware Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Hardware Design Engineer

I have been working at Astronautics

Pros

Astronautics gives new grads a chance to gain actual work experience. If you can tolerate the extreme micromanagement, it can be a chance to learn the basics of the avionics field. Always a challenge to satisfy the customers. Many of the people working for this company are forward thinkers and a real pleasure to work with.

Cons

Astronautics is a company in trouble. After implementing a company wide IFS (resource planning)
    software program that was never intended for an engineering environment. The engineering management has lost control of there departments, to production management. Upper management is totally ineffective. Middle management practice extreme micromanagement, Managers with little or no technical background are making design decisions that are costing this
    company millions in redesign cost. Many of the engineers are expecting a meltdown in the not to distant future.

Advice to Management

Resource planning software works for production, but is a handcuff to engineering, also production managers do not have the faintest idea how to run an engineering department. When you hire someone to do a job, let them do it. Ron Zelazo is an absentee ceo spending all his time
    in New Jersey.

Astronautics is a great place to work!

I worked at Astronautics

Pros

When I worked at Astronautics I was doing some exciting things. The people I worked with were great and I definitely felt that I was working on some really advanced project. How many people can say they worked on products for the new Boeing 787 and the new Airbus A400M!

Cons

Yes, I must admit that working overtime wasn’t always the most pleasant experience, but it happens. When I did have to work overtime at least management did the best to help us out and provided us food when we had to work late! What do you expect when you are supporting customers (worldwide mind you) doing technologically advanced things!

Advice to Management

I had a great experience working at Astronautics. Of course It is a shame that people have to be laid off but if you look at the news, the economy isn’t exactly doing great. In fact, if you look at the Aerospace industry in general you will notice that Astronautics isn’t the only one going this route!