There are newer employer reviews for Atkins

Don't expect to advance or treated with prefessional respect

Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Beltsville, MD
Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Atkins

Pros

Friendly staff and middle management (for the most part). Never got a 'No' answer when I needed time off for a sick or vacation day.

Cons

Disrespectful management, crazy deadlines, not having final data, no raises. If staff (non-management) want to be respected and paid more they are expected to make this their passion, come in off the clock, work weekends, take extra classes for fun, write papers, etc.. When promotion time comes, there's no way for someone that works 40 hours per week and doesn't work extra (off the clock) to get a full 3% raise, those are reserved for those that go above and beyond on their own time. Don't expect to have a work-life balance and be able to get ahead. If you like to make friends and occasionally talk with your fellow employees you will be looked at as a 'slacker' and I don't mean chatting all day I mean socialize as in drop by and have a brief talk with someone about their day, weekend, family, sports, etc.. They will play favorites and reward those who suck up to management. ONLY CONSIDER WORKING HERE IF YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED A JOB! Half the staff has considered leaving for non-professional careers like fast food management, trade school, package delivery, and the like (no knock against those careers but it's not why you go to college and get a degree or advanced degree). You also don't get 'sick days' if you're sick or have an emergency count on using you're accrued vacation time. You get 0 to start and accrue at a rate of 4 hours per week. You can also count on paying for your own holiday party.

Advice to Management

Start over, treat your staff professionally, they are not drones they are people who have lives outside of work. Give them respect, incentives, and TRY to make them feel like coming into work everyday isn't the worst part of their day.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I was given a lot of latitude in my job. I learned cutting edge program management techniques.

Current Employee - Right of Way Agent in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Right of Way Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Opportunities to work on large state of the art projects, learn new technologies, and to grow professionally within your field.

Cons

Professional development. It was difficult to receive approval to attend courses, confernces and seminars.

2. Good entry level scientist or Engineer workplace.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Atkins

Pros

Good opportunity for beginning Engineers or Scientists to get a leg in the door for environment science, construction, or Civil engineering.

Cons

Room for career development or advancement is limited. After 2-3 years hear you will become stagnant due to the poor leadership of the senior management.