Atkins

www.atkinsglobal.com

Good for juniors, could be better for seniors

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
Current Employee - Principal Consultant

Pros

Wide variety of projects and extensive client base offering fantastic opportunities for junior technical staff to develop their skills and experience. Middle technical project management is often supportive and willing to invest time in staff training.

Cons

Many incompetent staff promoted to senior positions. Business success heavily dependent on experienced & motivated senior engineers, very often not recognised for their valuable contribution to the business. Atkins is not a place for senior engineers trying to advance their careers, unless you are already in a local boys club, offering fast track promotions when individuals are simply not ready for them.

Senior managers need to start contributing to the business growth - less spreadsheet tracking and more contact with existing/potential new clients. Honest performance review is advisable for all senior grades, which includes a 360 feedback inviting lower grade staff to comment on their performance. Don't be scared to downgrade underperforming individuals.

Other reviews for Atkins

Opportunity to learn, but not fairly compensated for advancment or recognized for progress

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

Atkins provides the opportunity to work on many large, high profile projects. I have had a great learning experience and have advanced extremely fast in my specialty.

Cons

Salary is still less than average for an entry level engineer in my area (0 experience) despite being given full responsibility to deliver projects. Often times I am given more responsiblity than senior engineers making more than twice my salary who just happen to be tight enough in the old boy network that they can keep their jobs without producing much at all. When budgets get spent, they rely on me and other "entry level engineers" to work for free to get the jobs finished even though the people making 120k-150k are clearly the ones blowing the budgets. This abuse of young engineers seems to be systematic within the North American company. I have worked in three states under five different managers and they all seem to handle the issue in the same way. I have also seen more than a few highly competent young engineers leave the company at their first chance for the same reasons. Asked to not charge overtime and not record all hours worked even when there is budget left. Profits from projects are taken from the group to cover other underperforming groups. Need to put in extra effort to make up for incompetancies in higher level technical staff. I feel that my skills are highly abused and taken advantage of.

Learn to recognize young engineers with high levels of performance and reward them appropriately. The company is destroying my motivation by giving me more and more responsibility without commensurate raises or promotion. When discussed with my manager I am always told "we don't have the backlog to justify a promotion or raise" or " we can't justify a promotion or raise in this economy". Well, the economy is bad for everyone, but that doesn't change the average salary for someone with my responsibilities in the same local. When obtaining a young engineer who excels in his/her discipline, recognize them as an asset to the company. Otherwise, you are just training the competition.

Formative experience but never

Pros

Good work/life balance and flexible schedules
    Opportunities for professional development, such as attending conferences, tuition reimbursement, etc
    Senior executives communicate changes in the company in a timely and efficient manner
    Intelligent and accomplished colleagues

Cons

Tendency to be pigeonholed in specific type of work or client
    Career advancement promised during interview never materialized, despite excellent reviews
    Inconsistency from some managers
    low morale among personnell

Create more advancement opportunities, empower employees to have more career advancement opportunities. Managers should always set the example for work ethic and winning new work

There are newer employer reviews for Atkins.

Worked for Atkins? Contribute to the Community!