Atlas Oil

There are newer employer reviews for Atlas Oil

Another Dissatisfied Customer

Current Employee - Manager in Taylor, MI
Current Employee - Manager in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Owner is personally involved in ever aspect of this company. Great core values, great presentation at orientation with meeting all the local executives.

Cons

Atlas Oil is just another company that is run by an owner that just can’t quite relinquish control. “Elevate and Delegate” is a portion of the book called Traction might need to re-read it. I applaud an owner so involved with his creation but enough is enough. He hires folks that have no idea of what his business is and they just “yes sir yes sir” all day long and others are swept out the door because of it.

We have lost some seriously good talent because of ignorance. When will this company look at its mistake to stop re-visiting the same errors year after year? We need leadership to make informed decision, not knee jerk reactions. That is a sign of weakness, in the last 5 years we have lost 6-7 directors or higher, and countless folks lower. The turnover rate is at an unacceptable level. “Grow or Go” mentality is stupid. If a person is there and is dead weight that is understandable (right person – right seat), then by all means make a change. To make a change just because we “shouldn’t be satisfied with doing the same thing this year like we did last year”? That is ridiculous, your people have families and to release them like an NFL Football coach after not making the playoffs is stupid!

Please read all of the reviews, I am not the only “disgruntled” employee that got hooked into the company’s BS about “Core Values”. One of the posters on the wall is: “We are Aggressors not Defenders”. No kidding there, they are as aggressive as any company I have had the misfortune to work for. God help you if you have to be on the opposite side of this owner!

They continuously add more and more personnel in order to show company growth, yet do not look at the number of people they are replacing. It isn’t growth when you are replacing! They have awards for the employees that are nominated via their peers. Funny part, it is popularity contest. Some folks are nominated for just about every category; a lot of the nominees are higher management as well. Really? A Director or VP needs to be recognized as being good at his job when his workers are the mules of the unit? Most executives are already well compensated, to award these leaders instead of the hard working employees below them.

Whenever this place gets their head out of the collective “rear ends”, it might actually be a force to be reckoned with. Mr. Simon wants a power house and what Mr. Simon wants, Mr. Simon gets! Owners should be involved, just needs to have realistic goals.

As others mentioned about “WRA-What’s Rockin Atlas” it is a sort of Pep Rally for the employees. At first this concept sounds great, but as the weeks turn to months, months turn to years you will start to realize that this is all “smoke and mirrors”. Also, others testified that the management turnover is quite high. Workers will not grow comfortable with managers because they are not sure how long they will be around. This kind of situation has to stop; you will never make it to the next level until you hire the right people for the right jobs. Changing managers will only hurt the company in the long run even Mr. Simon should know this by now.

Good luck if you are accepted to be one of the elite folks for this company. Hopefully, you will be one of the few that make it past the first year. If you aren’t, then you have had plenty of warnings about the pending problem at this company.

Wow, this is a loaded question. How about treat your employees that way your "Core Values" say. Live your Core Values, and not just when Sam Simon is close by. Treat people like you should have been treated early on in your careers. Quit using the statement "We are an at-will company", and for the folks that do not understand - they can get rid of you "at-will" without reason. And they do just that.

53 Other Employee Reviews for Atlas Oil (View Most Recent)

NA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I worked at Atlas Oil full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free soda machine, popcorn in the morning, owner spends money at events. Pay is not too bad, clean work areas. Lunch program is good. Pretty much the same thing you would expect in other corporate settings.

Cons

Where do you begin? If all of the pros above are a reason to work somewhere than good luck. This is a very inefficient organization where the structure makes no sense. The company is almost totally Excel driven and the other systems they use are inefficient. You will be worked and then worked some more. If you enjoy a work/life balance and time with your family then do not come here. It is an organization that promotes working hard instead of working smart. Little innovation and no real foresight. You are constantly trying to solve problems which could have been avoided with better systems. My advice is to pass on this place and go somewhere else.

No advice, they are set in their ways and will never change.

Chaotic, unfocused, undisciplined, unprofessional, out of control, territorial

I have been working at Atlas Oil full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to develop professional survival techniques.

Cons

The perception created during the interview and orientation process quickly fade as reality sets in. This is not ne of the best companies to work for in SE Michigan. The non-driver turnover, including director level and above employees, is quite high - highest I have ever experienced. The organization changes direction at the drop of a hat (or swing of a mood) and aggressively pursues business opportunities without demonstrating any semblance of a strategic plan, budget, fore-thought, etc. Most employees as stressed and perpetually in survival and self-prsurvation mode.

Walk your talk!