Atria Senior Living

www.atriaseniorliving.com
  www.atriaseniorliving.com
There are newer employer reviews for Atria Senior Living

It's one of the best companies I've ever worked for.

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Atria Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

• Working with and for the residents and families is very rewarding.
• Recognition for employees- they make you feel good about doing a great job.
• Senior management works as hard as everybody else.
• It's a company that will listen and adapt, but will not put up with lack of integrity.
• The compensation is better than others in industry.

Cons

Need better communication across all departments and leadership (just like in most other companies.)

113 Other Employee Reviews for Atria Senior Living (View Most Recent)

Great place to live, unrealistic expectations of management, no work-life balance

Former Employee - Engage Life Director
    Former Employee - Engage Life Director

I worked at Atria Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If I had a loved one who needed assisted living, I would strongly consider Atria for them. In my experience, most of the employees truly care for the residents and the activities, meals, trips, care, and events are excellent.
    Many of the residents were wonderful.
    Sense of camaraderie with other managers in the same position in other communities, if only because we were all fighting the same hopeless battles.

Cons

- No sense of teamwork, more like a sense of "watch your back" among the managers. It was an environment of "if you want it done, do it yourself."
    - Unbelievably long hours. It is expected, company-wide, that Atria comes first, before anything else, which means giving up many weekends, vacations, and family time. No sense of work-life balance.
    - Regional management regularly places unreasonable demands on managers, who are already overworked, then get upset when the department is over budget or in overtime.
    - The resources available (labor hours, budget) don't match up to what is expected of programs. Even a small community needs a workable budget and more than a skeleton crew.
    - Constant turnover, especially in department management, as people get burned-out or can't meet the company's profit expectations.
    - Money seems to be more important than care to regional and corporate management. I fear this will only get worse as the company expands. Thank goodness the people on the front lines have hearts for the residents.
    - I would say it was just the community I worked in, but trust me, it's not. I wish I'd paid more attention to the GlassDoor reviews when I was interviewing with Atria.

As the company grows (which it rapidly is), take time to nurture your employees. Senior management needs to understand the differences of all the communities. Working for a year in one community before becoming upper management isn't enough to fully appreciate what's happening on the ground level.
    Recognize the time that employees are putting into their thankless jobs and the life that they are giving up to care for seniors. Focus on work-life balance.
    The empty promise of a bonus that probably won't come is not enough motivation for department management. Find another, more realistic way to reward them.
    Every activity director should have a full-time assistant and a driver, regardless of community size.

A great job for an efficient, and patient person

Current Employee - Medical Technician in South Setauket, NY
    Current Employee - Medical Technician in South Setauket, NY

I have been working at Atria Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free meals, opportunities to move up, surprising rewards for a job that doesnt necessarily require schooling, great coworkers, and it feels great to work in the lives of the elderly

Cons

very fast paced work, not a lot of training, low pay (for what your doing), always understaffed

always understaffed.