Come for studies and don't expect to land up in a good job.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Auburn, AL
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Auburn, AL

I have been working at Auburn University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice family culture, helping people,good research

Cons

Less job opportunities for International students

Other Reviews for Auburn University

Best school on earth.

Current Employee - Student Worker  in  Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Auburn, AL

I have been working at Auburn University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Auburn Offers a fantastic atmosphere for learning that goes far beyond books and classes. In the College of Business the Office of professional & Career Development promotes learning through employment experience via internships, presentations, seminars, mock interviews, resume workshops, and much more.

Cons

Because Auburn is such a large university, it is easy to feel like just a number while perusing your education. Find your niche, get involved, and join the family.

If you are an international (non American) person, run away from this place

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Auburn, AL

I have been working at Auburn University full-time for more than a year

Pros

This place it good if you are a middle aged, football loving, conservative (and preferably Caucasian) American. If you do not fit into one of these categories, then read on.

Cons

I list below some of the problems with this place. I have tried to keep them as dispassionate as possible -

1) Location - As such, location is a MAJOR disadvantage. Not only are you in rural Alabama, the closest decent airport (Atlanta) is 2 hours away, and in a different time zone. What this means is that you have to leave home at 5:30 for a 9:30 flight. Not fun!

2) Diversity - If you are an international person (either faculty or student), the "Office of International Affairs" will do nothing to help you. In fact, they will do everything they can to make your life hard. I know, because I am an international faculty member, and just went through hell to get my green card. In fact, I had actually to threaten to resign to get the job done. So be prepared. If you are an American of color, then it is a little better than being a foreigner, but still, this isn't the best place you can be at.

3) University Life - Academically, the place is fine, but other departments like Payroll and accounting are a pain to deal with. I think they have been trained to treat college money as their own money, which is why they make it so hard to get money released to you. You need every shred of documentation, and it can get very time consuming. My biggest problem is that they expect you to buy your travel tickets / conference registration, etc. on your own credit card, then send your credit card statement to them, and after that they will reimburse. Personally, I hate sharing my credit card statement with anyone.

4) Opportunities for the Spouse - If your spouse wants to pursue a full time career, then forget about it. There are few opportunities at the University itself, and even those are usually filled by temporary employment services (and the pay for those is rock bottom). Other than the university, there are not too many other opportunities here yet (though that is improving slowly). The closest opportunities are in Columbus (40 miles away) or Montgomery (50 miles away).

5) Entertainment and other activities - Are you kidding me? There is absolutely NOTHING to do in this place. Friday nights, the most exciting thing you can do is to go shopping at Tiger Town (which, BTW isn't anything to write home about)! There are a decent number of restaurants around town though, especially for a town this size.

6) Salary and cost of living - Auburn is known for being a below average paymaster as far as universities go. And the fact that this place has a state income tax, city tax, AND a 9% sales tax to top it off, does not make it the easiest place to live in. Also note that there are relatively few sub 220 thousand $ homes around this place. Most decent homes are 245,000 and up.

To sum up, while there are several worse places you could potentially be at, there are many better places too. If you are not a student, and can work somewhere else, you are probably better off doing it.

if you are serious about being a premier research university, then you need to do things to make people's (faculty, GAs, etc.) life easier, rather than harder.

There are newer employer reviews for Auburn University.

Worked for Auburn University? Contribute to the Community!