Audible

www.audible.com
  www.audible.com
There are newer employer reviews for Audible

Great place and people

I have been working at Audible

Pros

- Good management
- Startup culture
- Free food and snacks
- Friday happy hours
- Sports activities

Cons

- Most people are overworked because of the high work load

- Help employees by not making them overwork

70 Other Employee Reviews for Audible (View Most Recent)

Great place to work, expect to be a contractor

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Audible as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I’ve been working at Audible for half a year now. Overall, great place to work. The people are very friendly. The environment is very laid back and easy going. Free snacks and lunch every day in the cafeteria. Free breakfast every Monday (although they do have cereal, coffee, tea, and breakfast bars every day). On Fridays, there is happy hour for the employees, where you can enjoy a drink or two with your fellow co-workers after a long week. Great view of New York City (Empire State Building, Freedom Tower, etc.) It is a growing company and seems like there is room for advancement if you’re qualified. However, expect to start out as a contractor (especially when applying for the entry-level positions).

Cons

The Contract Situation

There are a lot of Full Time Regulars, but a good amount of employees are contractors. All departments are different, but how my department (Audio/Production) works is like this: you start with a 3 month contract. If they like you, they extend your contract another 3 months. They can extend it up to 11 months. After the 11 months, you have to become unemployed for 3 months before they can offer you another contract. And then it cycles. My first 3 months I was pretty paranoid to whether or not I was going to be offered another contract. But I was told (and found out) that they normally keep you the entire 11 months. As long as you do the work, they’ll keep you.

When it comes to advancement, it’s possible. It’s a growing company and it seems like they post new opens within the company every month or two. So you can apply for Full Time Regular positions within the company. That is if your department doesn’t already give you Full Time when your contract is up. In the Audio department, it’s tough. I know guys who have been working here for over 3 years (continuing the 11 month, 3 month off process). Basically just waiting for someone to quit. And if a position does open up, it’s a competition. I can’t say it’s the same way in other departments here though, yet I wouldn’t be surprised. But if you don’t plan to stay at Audible, then you might not even have a problem with being a contractor.

Another note about being a contractor: even though the people are nice and friendly here, you can’t help but be disconnected from the company at times. There are just certain things that make you feel like you’re just there pushing buttons, and not part of the company. I’ll give you some examples: 1- when there are company meetings, contractors aren’t invited to go. 2- The parking here is terrible! If you’re a contractor you’ll end up having to pay between $75-$100 (at least) to park each month. However, if you are Full Time you are only deducted $15 a month from your pay check to park in one of the parking lots close by. 3- Contractors are NOT offered benefits, but Full Timers are offered incredible benefits 4- If a full timer refers someone to the company, and he/she is hired, that full timer will be compensated for it- contractors don’t.

The employees here seem to try and make you feel like part of the team. They’re very friendly and invite you to employee events and parties and whatnot. A good amount of them know what you’re going through, because they went through the same process. Advancement here is possible. If you’re put into that situation where you need something more full time, then the best bet if to talk to your department manager and let him know where you stand. My manager was very understanding and offered to help me while I applied for other positions throughout the Audible Company. ALSO, this is an Amazon company right? Having Audible on your resume helps a lot when applying to other Amazon companies. So just jump on the Amazon site where you can apply for Amazon directly or for other subsidiary companies.

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newark, NJ

I worked at Audible full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great environment
    -Good people
    -Growing Company
    -Amazon Subsidiary

Cons

-A bit unorganized because it's growing quickly.
    -Easy to get lost and lose sight of what's important

You guys have some big challenges ahead of you.

There are newer employer reviews for Audible