Audubon Society

There are newer employer reviews for Audubon Society

Struggling Against Irrelevance at the Cost of Its Soul

Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY
Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY

I worked at Audubon Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated lower- and mid-level employees

Cons

A corrupt, thoroughly unpleasant place to work

By far the worst job I've ever had—and that includes my teenage stint as an ice cream scooper at Baskin Robbins. Audubon is trying so desperately (and unsuccessfully) to position itself as a currently relevant environmental group that it resorts to some really unsavoury practices. For instance, this elitist, lily-white group tries to act like its inclusive by putting a few pics of black kids on its website and hiring a token person here or there....

I was asked to lie to major donors on a regular basis, when it came to accomplishments, in order to hit them up for yet more money! Upper management plays fast and loose with the facts in this and other regards—facts, schmacts. Huge discrepancy between the way Audubon's 2,768 VPs (OK, only 50 or so) are treated, and the low status afforded lower workers paid by the hour—and at poverty wages at that. Subjected to haranguing from upper management—was yelled at on numerous occasions by supervisor, in clear hearing of others, who was held in both fear and utter contempt by others. Stress seems to emanate from the very top.

Bow out gracefully. You're obsolete.

17 Other Employee Reviews for Audubon Society (View Most Recent)

Overpaid and Poor Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Audubon Society as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits and paid time off

Cons

Poor Management, Lazy Management, Management, New Management who do not know what they are doing and overpaid

There is no job stability at Audubon anymore, so stop giving employees a false sense of security. We all know that you let poor people go making 30 to 40 thousand, while you take their salaries in the interim. Then have the audacity to cry poverty. I have seen you send emails and harass your own employees for money and you already know they are on the chopping block. This is a management with no conscience. They will destroy your life, your pension and take away your health insurance as well so it can go into the pockets of the Chief Operating Office, the President, The Controller just to name a few. The same thing with other states. People please don't let them make you feel guilty. Do not donate to Audubon. It's a scam.

This Company is all about Asset Accumulation and little more

Current Employee - Tenant
    Current Employee - Tenant

I have been working at Audubon Society as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot think of any.

Cons

Little time to achieve goals and not much money in salary for Directors of satellite Centers...result: burn out

Stick to the mission statement and avoid having tenant properties you do not upkeep.
    2.6 million left to the Audubon Society in 2001 by Edith L. Leopold in Ct. PLUS a 1750 Historical Colonial that she kept in excellent repair on 1.3 acres and 43 acres for a Sanctuary. 13 years later: once a year mowing on one field in Sanctuary, sign installed with nothing on it, no trails, no maintenance. House has severe mold problem inside and mold on exterior clapboard. Recent tenant updated some electrical and other repairs to make liveable, out of pocket, and cleaned up neglected grounds. No reimbursement...reason Audubon Society has given for neglect... No money Go figure.
    I would recommend Society does not have tenant properties and that the money they are donated goes towards fulfilling it's mission statement ONLY.

There are newer employer reviews for Audubon Society