Austin ISD

www.austinisd.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Austin ISD

I love teaching my students and working with my colleagues, but I find the district policies and support inadequate.

Current Employee - LOTE Teacher in Austin, TX
Current Employee - LOTE Teacher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin ISD full-time

Pros

I have great colleagues and students.

Cons

Budget cuts have created a lack of job security. The schools in which I have worked do not have the technology they should. Teachers are often treated more as hourly employees than respected professionals.

58 Other Employee Reviews for Austin ISD (View Most Recent)

Educated again at Austin ISD and the lessons learned

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin ISD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is great at Austin ISD, maybe too great! The total amount of time off amounts to almost 3 full months of total time off (including all holidays and PTO). Benefits for just the employee covered. The workload is extremely managable. The culture is open and friendly, with many pot luck lunches. The main administration buildings are in downtown Austin, which made my commute very easy and afforded many opportunities of the thriving downtown, such as Whole Foods, Sweetish Hill, Z' Tejas, and many others.

Cons

IT employees are 12 month employees, meaning no summers off. Salaries are definitely less than in the corporate industry. There really is no room for professional growth here, but if you want a job that you just coast at this could be the one. There is a lack of accountability which tends to affect productivity, but since we are all just trying to get by, good enough becomes the norm. And the worst is the politics between administration and teachers, but that's another review for another time.

Start with yourselves! Each department is not a silo. And just because two department heads do not like each other or get along, that should not be imposed on the whole district. Find a way to abstract the politics away from running a lean, mean, education machine.

great people, good benefits, good work environment, never boring

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin ISD

Pros

vacation days and holidays awesome
    friendly people
    decent compensation

Cons

not compensated as well as private sector

top management gives little attention/advice from technology experts about major tech purchases and vision for IT

There are newer employer reviews for Austin ISD