There are newer employer reviews for Australia and New Zealand Banking

Good Place to work

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Bangalore (India)
Former Employee - Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Australia and New Zealand Banking full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment and employee recognition

Cons

Shift timings are very bad

Have rotational shifts

230 Other Employee Reviews for Australia and New Zealand Banking (View Most Recent)

Worst 5 years of my life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Australia and New Zealand Banking for more than 5 years

Pros

None...oh wait...work life balance because noone really puts in any effort and leaves when the clock strikes 5 (or earlier if management isn't around). Compensation was ok at commencement, slightly more than industry average in my field...towards the end, it was way below what I could get elsewhere.

Cons

No development opportunities. Budget for coursework / training was practically non-existent and only went to the suckups. Had to self fund a course required by new industry requirements, which the company should have paid for. Nearly impossible to move out of the area you are hired into and hard to get promoted within same area. Hired for your skills and experience but this is ignored after stepping in the door. A lot of managers resent staff with of knowledge and initiative and treat them like they're incompetent, demoralising them into drones. I previously led a team of 9 for 4 years and had references from former staff but did not get one job as I was seen as having no staff supervision experience because "you haven't done it here". 4/5 of the managers I had over 5 years were sociopaths at worst, apathetic at best. My area's staff satisfaction survey results were always 30-50% over the entire time I worked there and there never were any investigations/ improvements undertaken. No job security. Every day is spent wondering if your area is going to be restructured or offshored again. Performance review / employee ranking is a joke and based on popularity. Don't bother trying to outperform, you will never get the deserved pay rise/bonus unless you suck up, discredit and gossip about your coworkers to senior managers, take credit for other's work, spend your time having "coffee catchups". Career progression must be based on incompetence as I saw many promoted into senior management within months following a huge operational failure instead of getting fired. This spirals into a culture of bullying, complacency and slackerism, not the "high performance" culture they claim to have. Worst place I've ever worked in a 15 year career.

Focus on valuing and developing your staff...they are how you achieve good customer service, superior products, new ideas and the resulting profits. Promote to management based on knowledge and mandatory psychological profiling, not seniority or sucking up. Way too many managers aren't leaders, have no knowledge/experience in the area they are responsible for and should never be allowed to manage people. Implement 360 performance reviews and act on them. Don't accept low staff satisfaction survey results regardless of circumstances. Its an indication something is very wrong if that many staff members are upset enough to give poor ratings! Hold senior management accountable and don't accept excuses without an action plan and follow up on status! Any excuse is due to bad people management, bad decisions, lack of change management skills ... an indication that the people in charge have no management skills! Stop all the retrenchments...you are an Australian company and should be supporting local employees, not making the economy suffer by laying off thousands despite record breaking, multi-billion dollar profits. Try spending this on developing your staff and improving systems instead of worrying about stock price and shareholders. Remember you are a financial services provider and a major employer, not an investment/capital instrument.

ANZ

Former Employee - Director  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Director in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Australia and New Zealand Banking full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work life balance. Exciting due to exposure to Asia

Cons

Management from external banks, dont really understand culture

There are newer employer reviews for Australia and New Zealand Banking

Worked for Australia and New Zealand Banking? Contribute to the Community!