There are newer employer reviews for Author Solutions

The rapid growth of the company is worth a few hiccups.

Current Employee - Publishing Consultant  in  Fort Mitchell, KY
Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Fort Mitchell, KY

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is obviously doing well because it is opening a whole new office to accommodate its growth. The job is very fast paced and because it is inside sales, the customers who you are talking to are very interested in your product. The benefits are good and the commission structure can be very lucrative. Also almost all of middle management was promoted from within, which bodes well for career advancement.

Cons

This is a face paced sales job which is not for everyone. You need to be able to learn new things on the fly and be extremely flexible when overcoming obstacles. If you can handle these things, you'll do well, but if not it may not be for you. In fairness, there is a ramp up period of three months to allow the consultants to get things figured out.

They are aware of the growing pains of opening a new office and they are actively addressing them. I would encourage them to keep that up.

50 Other Employee Reviews for Author Solutions (View Most Recent)

AuthorSolutions Inc. work environment

Former Employee - Book Designer  in  Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Book Designer in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a vanity press, AuthorSolutions clients are interesting, unique and varied. A dedicated and skilled employee can derive great satisfaction by providing them with quality service.

Cons

Being owned by a private equity corporation, treatment of employees and client satisfaction are AuthorSolutions lowest priorities. The wages are low and the benefits are minimal. Discipline is maintained by regularly singling out employees for harsh treatment through intimidation, work overloads, artificial production goals and eliminating positions to transfer to their facilities in the Philippines. Management actively recruits employees to spy on other employees. On the job training is minimal and employees are expected to sink or swim on their own. Expertise and seniority are not valued and promotions are often based on obsequiousness to upper management, not skill. For these reasons, employee turnover is high and moral is low.

Management needs to listen to employees advice on production processes, treat them with respect and be available when problems arise. Treating your employees well will improve efficiency and quality of production as well as customer satisfaction.

Bait and switch low life immoral narcissistic management!

Former Employee - Publishing Consultant  in  Fort Mitchell, KY
    Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Fort Mitchell, KY

I worked at Author Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Initially, the illusion of working for a large publishing firm had had real appeal.

Cons

Aside from the pay being significantly under normal expectations, shortly after starting to work there, they had the gall to actually pull a bait and switch on pay, by changing the CarrerBuilder advertisement from "base salary plus an aggressive commission structure" to "draw against commission" with net loss of $17,500/year in guaranteed income, plus they raised the minimum acceptable performance metrics level by 33% without discussion, comment, or any additional compensation in doing so.
         I protested excessively because I knew they were dead wrong in taking these atrocious actions. They responded by levying disgusting false accusations against me and fired me for same. Did I contemplate taking action? Good question. We'll see.

Seek therapy immediately for your collective narcissistic, egomaniacal, money grubbing ways.

There are newer employer reviews for Author Solutions

Worked for Author Solutions? Contribute to the Community!