Auto Club of Southern California

www.calif.aaa.com
  www.calif.aaa.com
There are newer employer reviews for Auto Club of Southern California

The Club's history and focus on stellar member service also reflects in dealings with co-workers; a great place to work.

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Auto Club has been through the ups and downs of many turbulent decades and times. It's 110-year history shows than it can weather any storm, and has even done very well in years when other competitors have done poorly.
Stable
Well-respected
Co-workers feel like family
Many career and transfer opportunities
Growing in mutiple states
Great benefits, perks, and facilities

Cons

Extrememly conservative company
Some of the sales systems are ancient

167 Other Employee Reviews for Auto Club of Southern California (View Most Recent)

Tough job, free leads, but ability to sell is diluted by huge CSR responsibilities and little time for family

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Top tier insurance company. I would buy from them in a heartbeat. They are honest, respectful and handle claims with speed and integrity. From a consumer point of view, and awesome company.

Cons

I really hope they read this...I love Auto Club, but it is one of the hardest places to work on the planet.
    Now, about the job...This job is technically commission only, however in effect due to how the comp works you are probably never going to make less than $1k/mo. However, the system is set up in a fashion that the successful agents literally need to work 50-70hr./wk to make their goals. While you get leads that walk in the front door, you have to share and take turns with everyone else in the office. Goals are HARD (non-negotiable), in that if you don't make your goal for a few months, even if off by one, then you will be put on report. In my office, the total goal for the month was evenly divided by the number of agents - new agents are expected to produce the same as those who have been there for 5 or more years. There are no renewals. To be clear, "you do not build a book of business" at Auto Club. This is sad in that the insurance industry was built upon the foundation of lifetime renewals allowing a person to work like a dog for several years then enjoy a milder pace to be able to spend time with family. The Auto Club system is only designed for you to work like a dog for years, in fact forever...there is no let up, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. While some things certainly get easier with time, the pace never let's up.
    In offices w/Saturday hours, you are required to work pretty much every other weekend. If you have the sales floor that weekend it's not a bad deal, but if you are doing backup or CSR duties in effect your put your time in for free while at the same time missing family activities. Add to that the typical long week and late hours and in effect you are giving yet another piece of your family time to the company for little if no compensation.
    Paperwork is colossal as you in effect pre-underwrite all your apps before submission. A huge portion of your comp (up to 175%) is reflected on your ability to accurately underwrite the policy. While most companies require field underwriting, having been in the insurance industry for 20+ years, I can tell you that what Auto Club expects if nothing short of perhaps 80% of the duties of a typical home office underwriter. While this is certainly their prerogative, it of course takes valuable sales time from you and turns your job into an info gathering nightmare.
    As you make mistakes, your compensation is adjusted down, not for the pay period or the month but for a rolling 6 months! You screw up in January and by July your compensation could be less than half with the exact same production. Only "perfection" for the next six months (and lot's of overtime) will dig you out of this hole. So now, you work incredible hours for as little as 50% what you were a mere six months prior, with no hope until the rolling 6mos finally catches up with you assuming you've been perfect.
    The adversarial role of underwriter vs. sales is compounded with "audits" of your submissions, becoming the proverbial club used to destroy your commissions. Underwriters in the home office are "audited" too, so while they may at times want to cut you a break, they have their own skin to save as well. While Auto Club's lawyers are quick to point out that the compensation you lose is only "bonus" compensation, what they fail to tell you is the base comp plan is not a livable comp structure given the clerical duties required, and more importantly, your mistakes WILL put you on report as well as affect the compensation of everyone else in the office including your manager. So, the reality is, while technically not required, it is for all practical purposes a requirement of near perfection on all application submissions or you and everyone else will pay the price, and if not corrected you will lose your job. Finally, even though you are on straight commission, you are a W2 employee. You are not free to come and go as you will, in fact, during duty rotations, there will be days you come in and get zero leads but spend your whole day doing CSR duties as assigned. Never mind the fact that you are only paid for sales, the system will take you out of sales 2- 3 days a week while you contribute to the CSR duties for the office.
    Compensation can be very good, upwards of 125k for top producers, and first year you should be able to make 70k or more. However, given the stress of the environment, the lack of freedom & overtime in order to achieve these results, many do not stay for the long term. Burn out and stress is a BIG factor. Stress leave is a way of life.
    All in all, it is frankly a sweatshop. In order for you to do your job, overtime is a given, deception is the norm and the pressure to produce outweighs all other human considerations. Positive corporate culture may exist at the home office, but the sales offices are crushed under the weight of the corporate pursuit of profits, at what is ultimately the agents expense

I loved working at Auto Club. I loved the office I worked in and the people, but the system is not for me and apparently by your attrition rate, not for many. I think you grossly underestimate the power of the sales person and view it as an order taking position. While there are certainly those cases, the vast majority of sales are in fact "sold" because of the direct efforts of the sales agent. If it were simply an order taking position, why not hire people on salary and keep the extra profits?
    With all the great public good will and perception of Auto Club, it is a shame that those who work there in sales loathe their jobs but usually make just enough money to feel like they have to stay. It is sad for me even to write this and I truly do not wish to burn any bridges or cause harm, but I hope that someone takes a look at your "true" corporate culture of blood sweat and tears and does something to reform it. The saddest part is, and I guarantee it, you will "never" hear any of the above from anyone currently employed because frankly the corporate culture does not foster the trust in the system that they won't be ostracized for speaking out. I am happily employed elsewhere so I truly hope this makes a difference.

A stable company but doesn't grow talent.

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Stable company
    Reasonable pay
    Reasonable working hours
    Pretty good benefits
    Company with a long heritage
    Multiple product lines
    Some carpool reimbursement - yes that's all I could think of

Cons

The down-side to a company with a long heritage is that the company hasn't really progressed as much as it should. The CEO comes from an old-school business background and the company believes in using fear and intimidation as motivators, rather than any actual encouragement. There are a lot of people in this job that are lifers, but most of those people stay in middle management. Overall, it's a high stress environment with management that's always looking to point a finger at fault, rather than build a team environment that works together towards a solution. Also, they are very behind the times from both a technology perspective and culture.

I honestly think that you would need to bring someone in from the outside or bring in some new people on the senior management level to give them an honest assessment. You have great talent there, don't chase all of the younger generation away by limiting opportunities. Believe it or not, people will work harder for a company they respect and treats them well then one that kicks them down.

There are newer employer reviews for Auto Club of Southern California