Auto Club of Southern California

www.calif.aaa.com

What Happened to "Not for Profit"?

Travel Agent (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBrand recognition and excellent reputation as an organization that has existed for more than 100 years.

ConsI have seen many changes in this organization over the years, and while I am not adverse to change, I am against NEGATIVE change. I have seen the emphasis go from a culture of providing excellent customer service based on the needs of its members to one primarily focused on profits, even at the expense of poor employee morale and customer service.

One example of this is when ACSC made the decision to expand its operational hours at every branch office to its members a few years ago. When they instituted every AAA office a Saturday office, it was an excellent decision in the interest of customer service. However, the organization failed to provide additional staffing to support this endeavor. AAA expected to use the same number of employees for their expanded workweek leaving the offices short on staff and a low morale amongst its employees. Not to mention longer wait times for members, and a mandatory six day work week for employees. One good business decision led to failure due to unrealistic expectations of the powers that be.

Another challenge the front line employees face is a lack of support from management. This could be due to incompetent managers being placed in these positions. What happened to the days of branch managers having a sufficient amount of knowledge in the operational processes of services offered by the branches? Many of the managers I have encountered lack the basic understanding of AAA policies and procedures concerning key services like DMV, travel services, membership services and so on.

I don't want to disparage upper management, but I must say that those who are in charge of member services and the travel agency have a strong background in insurance services, not in travel or the other core services offered by the branches on a day to day basis. They are the ones who brought the sell sell sell mentality to the branches, forcing our valued DMV experts, cashiers, travel counselors, etc. to become more sales oriented rather than customer service focused. Some managers would not hesitate to sacrifice their knowledgable and skilled professionals if they fail to meet their cross sell goals. I have also seen wages plummet for new hires.

It seems that the branches have a much higher turnover in recent years. Whether or not upper management realizes this, the fact is that the highly trained and skilled staff that AAA has been renowned for is quickly shrinking away. What remains is a revolving door of highly untrained employees left to replace them. Management does not value it's employees. It is time for AAA to remember that good customer service begins within. That means offering good service to its employees by management. Without quality employees the club will decline. This is a not for profit organization. Why is it that all of the high salaries go to upper management while the very face of the company, the front line employees make so little?

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in technology. Listen to your frontline employees. Value the knowledge and experience of your employees as opposed to only caring about cross sell goals. While I have always made my cross sell goals and have a sales aptitude, not every one does and those employees are gems in this organization -- VALUE them!

work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for less than a year

Pros: the benefits and pay are decent Cons: everyones old and everything else is not great Advice to Senior Management: manage Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Honest Review- they do not care about their employees

DSU P & C (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good money and lots of leads. Cons: Work/life balance. No respect or appreciation from management. Advice to Senior Management: Quit. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Auto Club of Southern California.

Worked for Auto Club of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!