Auto Club of Southern California

www.calif.aaa.com
  www.calif.aaa.com
There are newer employer reviews for Auto Club of Southern California

What Happened to "Not for Profit"?

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Travel Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Brand recognition and excellent reputation as an organization that has existed for more than 100 years.

Cons

I have seen many changes in this organization over the years, and while I am not adverse to change, I am against NEGATIVE change. I have seen the emphasis go from a culture of providing excellent customer service based on the needs of its members to one primarily focused on profits, even at the expense of poor employee morale and customer service.

One example of this is when ACSC made the decision to expand its operational hours at every branch office to its members a few years ago. When they instituted every AAA office a Saturday office, it was an excellent decision in the interest of customer service. However, the organization failed to provide additional staffing to support this endeavor. AAA expected to use the same number of employees for their expanded workweek leaving the offices short on staff and a low morale amongst its employees. Not to mention longer wait times for members, and a mandatory six day work week for employees. One good business decision led to failure due to unrealistic expectations of the powers that be.

Another challenge the front line employees face is a lack of support from management. This could be due to incompetent managers being placed in these positions. What happened to the days of branch managers having a sufficient amount of knowledge in the operational processes of services offered by the branches? Many of the managers I have encountered lack the basic understanding of AAA policies and procedures concerning key services like DMV, travel services, membership services and so on.

I don't want to disparage upper management, but I must say that those who are in charge of member services and the travel agency have a strong background in insurance services, not in travel or the other core services offered by the branches on a day to day basis. They are the ones who brought the sell sell sell mentality to the branches, forcing our valued DMV experts, cashiers, travel counselors, etc. to become more sales oriented rather than customer service focused. Some managers would not hesitate to sacrifice their knowledgable and skilled professionals if they fail to meet their cross sell goals. I have also seen wages plummet for new hires.

It seems that the branches have a much higher turnover in recent years. Whether or not upper management realizes this, the fact is that the highly trained and skilled staff that AAA has been renowned for is quickly shrinking away. What remains is a revolving door of highly untrained employees left to replace them. Management does not value it's employees. It is time for AAA to remember that good customer service begins within. That means offering good service to its employees by management. Without quality employees the club will decline. This is a not for profit organization. Why is it that all of the high salaries go to upper management while the very face of the company, the front line employees make so little?

Invest in technology. Listen to your frontline employees. Value the knowledge and experience of your employees as opposed to only caring about cross sell goals. While I have always made my cross sell goals and have a sales aptitude, not every one does and those employees are gems in this organization -- VALUE them!

161 Other Employee Reviews for Auto Club of Southern California (View Most Recent)

I don't recommed it.

Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful campus in Santa Ana. But that's the only thing good I can say about it.

Cons

As a Policy Service Specialist management would rather have you sell, sell, sell (as in referrals) then provide "Legandary Sevice" to existing members.

Heed the advice you teach in training.....Great service comes before upselling.

Honest Review- they do not care about their employees

Former Employee - DSU P & C in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - DSU P & C in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good money and lots of leads.

Cons

Work/life balance. No respect or appreciation from management.

Quit.