Auto-Owners Insurance

www.auto-owners.com
There are newer employer reviews for Auto-Owners Insurance

Historic company with historic mentality

Former Employee - Supervisor in Lansing, MI
Former Employee - Supervisor in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance

Pros

As others have already stated, the company's financials are incredibly sound. There are few companies in the world that can state such continued growth throughout their existence and to proudly state that they have not had to perform layoffs due to financial concerns.

In addition, the company provides very good benefits to their employees including bonuses that are not based on merit (for better or worse), 401K, and health benefits for a price that is hard to compete with in the industry.

Also, as an employee, I found that if I voiced my goals to my manager and worked hard to push myself professionally, my manager was able to help me achieve those goals and offer me further opportunities in my career.

Cons

Many of the same characteristics that have proven beneficial to the company financially have also proven a detriment to it's employee morale and ability to attract new talent. The company institutes a very conservative investment mentality which, unfortunately, has bled into their approach to managing their employees as well.

The pay scale here is not nearly as competitive as other companies offer. The management team will try to convince you that the other benefits more than offset the differences, but the truth of the matter is that for most average to above average employees, other companies compensate you at least equally, if not more so. Honestly, it is a disincentive to work hard here as the bonus is based nearly entirely on how long you've worked with the company and very little to do with whether you actually deserve it or not. That type of evaluation would take much more diligence for management to consider.

While the pay scale is a bit annoying, the most flagrant offense that you take as an employee is the prolific micromanagement that takes place. Several other people have discussed the check-ins from a management standpoint and using your tardiness as a performance evaluation tactic. I can say from experience that this truly is often a primary point of evaluation when an employee is being reviewed. There is a complete lack of consideration for what modern employees consider to be appropriate for a work environment. Requiring all employees to wear ties, even when their position has zero external contact, a one hour lunch that begins at exactly noon and ends at exactly one, and little-to-no educational assistance unless it is a part of the CPCU or FLMI educational track. So much for anyone looking to further a business career with an MBA.

These are just a few of the common complaint that most employees have. Unfortunately, many of these same employees settle for this environment instead of looking elsewhere. This fear of losing a job and/or being unsuccessful is what Auto-Owners seems to rely on. I've heard several managers say that "the grass isn't always greener" on the other side. Well, I can say from experience that... actually, yes it is.

Get out of the stone age. Time to accept that the corporate culture in America has evolved and that the company's existence will depend on their ability to attract the most talented employees going forward.

116 Other Employee Reviews for Auto-Owners Insurance (View Most Recent)

Terrible culture, no respect for IT or for transparency

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance

Pros

Great co-workers
    Easy job
    No overtime requirements
    Can't get fired

Cons

No transparency
    Bad management

Relax dress code
    offer flex time
    offer telecommuting
    fix the culture!

Nice place to start, dead ended after 7 years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance

Pros

Good insurance and retirement plan. You are vested in a pension after 5 years and there is an okay profit sharing plan as well. If you can bite the bullet and conform to strict 8-4:30 schedule and professional attire (ties required for men) without complaint then you are "great".
    Great co-workers, these are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Cons

They pipe music overhead.
    Company is very "top heavy" when it comes to management decisions.
    Not really a flexible schedule, but some managers will bend the rules.
    Crappy sick time policies.
    Promotions and transfers for better opportunities are not transparent. Positions are not posted. Promotions appear to be based on a "timeline" rather than on actual talent. Pay below industry average.

Start being more transparent. I think a lot of associates are extremely unhappy due to the perception there is no way they can advance their career or get a new opportunity. I have complained I am bored with my current work assignments to my boss and nothing has come of it.
    Give meaningful reviews and opportunities to grow to those that want them.

There are newer employer reviews for Auto-Owners Insurance