AutoNation

There are newer employer reviews for AutoNation

DRINK THE kOOL-AID!!!

Former Employee - Internet Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Internet Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The commute was great. Other than that....

Cons

It is a giant corporation where you are spoon-fed their propaganda about how great they are. It's a ruse. An employee must work for 6 months to get their Health Insurance. After you get it, you are sadly disappointed. It is expensive, has a really high deductible, and it costs a fortune to add your family members.
The company doesn't respond to requests for office equipment for new employees. The process to hire takes weeks. However, when you start work, nothing is ready for your arrival! They make a great first impression! You will feel not welcome and confused.
I was hired to be a sales person and was to respond to Internet Leads. After a month and a half, I still had no phone, nor a computer. My fake managers, who were sales people who were just told they were managers..."Poof! NOW, you are a Manager, Dude!"...told me they made several requests. They did not.
They also told me they ordered my Business Cards. They never did.
Finally, I was criticized publicly, in a sales meeting, in front of my teammates and ridiculed as a "Squeaky Wheel"...because I wanted the tools to do my job. It had only been a month and a half with no phone or computer. I only got ONE Internet Lead in all thse weeks. I was starving!
An effective manager knows to "Praise in public and criticize in private"...but these guys have not even been to Amazon.com to peruse books on Management!!! I would have gladly loaned them my computer, but I never got one.
The really nice guy at the desk next to mine soon grew weary of me using his phone. I could only have access to it when he had his days off. I still didn't get incoming calls because I had to leap over to his phone and it was always too late. Someone, who HAD a phone, always beat me to the call.
When I "walked", they were astounded. "Let's go in and talk." They wanted me to go into a room with the door closed and speak with 2 of the "managers". No way. I offered to "talk" right there...but, then, they wouldn't be "in control"; on their closed-door turf. So, if I wouldn't go into that office, they would not speak with me.
I'm glad I remembered to go back in and get the office chair they had me buy. I was to be reimbursed. BIG SURPRISE!!! I was never reimbursed for the chair! It's mine now. GROAN
Do not work for this company. Their training programs lock-up and kick you out. You end up taking the same modules over and over, until you finally get them to complete. it does no good to point out all the "bugs". No one listens...and they already know that they can't change their system...let alone improve it. It's been broken so long and they have been brainwashed into believing they are working for the best company ever. The Kool-aid is very good. To me, t was YUCKY!!!

Read the above message and learn some things.

232 Other Employee Reviews for AutoNation (View Most Recent)

Highly professional management and a wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tustin, CA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work environment and excellent trainings

Cons

Income depends on customer's economic conditions

Advertise more

Company is more concerned about stock price than customers or employees

Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large enough company that an employee that is lazy or inept can keep their job (pro for that employee).
    Management can make a low 6 figure income, pretty easily.

Cons

Return for shareholders is more important than taking care of the customer and employee. Yes, a public corporation is created for shareholder value (by law)… but the only thing management truly cares about is moving the stock price to affect their options.

Corporate attitude- CYA, who you know is more important than production, etc.

Truly focus on the customer and the employee and shareholder value (net profit) will take care of its self

There are newer employer reviews for AutoNation