AutoNation

www.autonation.com
  www.autonation.com
There are newer employer reviews for AutoNation

A cynical culture driven by greed and stock price

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers were good people, and we all shared the same feelings of hopelessness, which, strangely enough, made us feel better knowing we were not alone. The hours can be long but the schedules are somewhat flexible.Once you have experience, other dealer groups, most of which consider autonation a joke, will gladly hire you and generally pay more with better hours.

Cons

Yearly pay cuts, although management will smile at you when they call it a "new pay plan." 5+ years without a pay raise, but the executives got theirs last year, of course. Penny smart and dollar stupid, they watch every penny for expenses while hundreds of dollars a day are given away to unhappy customers. There seems to be a concerted effort to get rid of the old-timers and replace all of us with kids who are desperate to work for $12/hr. See note about unhappy customers-directly related to the new, inexperienced, and of course cheap new hires. Constant turnover in staffing, nobody cares, even the store management have given up chasing the corporate carrot. Total lack of follow up with HR when issues are brought to their attention. Low morale, few chances to advance unless you know someone up top.

Come down to reality. Reality isn't the $50,000 per person republican fundraiser dinner at our COO's house, well, at least not for most of your employees. You'd see a better return on your money if you invested more in your income producing employees, not middle management bean counters. Embrace the concept of a pay raise. Happy employees make happy customers, such a basic concept totally ignored by the corporate hatchet men who work there. Your company is not growing. If the employees are not growing, then your company never will.

226 Other Employee Reviews for AutoNation (View Most Recent)

caring, responsive, and professional

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Tustin, CA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

not your normal automotive retail job, this company delivers with a level of professionalism and ethic that is too rare in the auto industry, I came on board with experiance above the position I was hired for and after 90 days of hard work I was promoted to my preferred position. The oppotunities with this organization are limited only by you. Great place to work!

Cons

tough to get in, the screening process is very comprehensive, be patient is is worth the effort

keep growing this company, a lot of good car people desevre this level of professionalism

My experience at AutoNation SSC has been tiring.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are constant openings and opportunities to move around and grow within the company.

Cons

Ridiculously long hours every 2 weeks. We work a 18 hour day go home for about 4 hours of sleep and come back to work 13 hours straight. We only get lunch and dinner on the 18 hour days, and were told that the budget was cut for the 13 hour days; but there are constantly tours of the SSC by corporate executives chartered in by a Gaylord Texan bus. Instead of a Christmas party for the 400 employees; HR formulates a schedule for employees to take turns building donated bikes to give away to toddlers for a AN tax break. Not sure where these bikes are donated to since the SSC is located in a very wealthy neighborhood.

Communicate with the employees even if they are not in management. Find ways to make the SSC a place were people want to work for more than a couple years.

There are newer employer reviews for AutoNation