There are newer employer reviews for AutoTrader

Love my role; love the company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the work that I do, and I have the freedom to do my job but also the guidance to continue to grow as an employee. Additionally, there always seem to be events, opportunities, prizes, giveaways, and snacks. It feels like they put a lot of emphasis on keeping employees engaged. I am, so I guess it's working!

Cons

Although I would consider it to be laid-back corporate, it's still a corporate environment, so if you're looking for a true dot-com feel, you may want to look elsewhere.

193 Other Employee Reviews for AutoTrader (View Most Recent)

Poor Management & Director Staff

I worked at AutoTrader full-time

Pros

Initially, great pay (4% of total revenue) on top of salary.
    Dealer Sales had Service Consultants to help service the accounts, while Advertising Consultants (Sales) were allowed to SELL.

Cons

Commission structures changed on a quarterly basis. Territories constantly realigned. District Sales Managers (DSM's) rotated often. Many DSM's had poor people skills and/or no training (flying by the seat of their pants) - very unprofessional. Some that "thought" they were professional used typical sales strategies..."Wouldn't you agree, Mr. Dealer, that..." Dealers considered them a JOKE. Many DSM's were Advertising Consultants (Sales) who knew how to sell, but not how to manage others. When AutoTrader Magazine stopped the presses, the .com side used the help of print reps to sell online packages. Once these deals were inked, many of the print reps were laid off/fired. Also, huge layoffs and firings across the country, starting in 2008. The layoffs were done in large masses, doubling the work load of the Dealer Sales team. Many firings occurred over 2009, 2010, 2011 under the radar. Great overall site, but not focused on the consumer. Little testing with new products. Dealers sometimes lost faith in new products. Many dealers were burned in 2007/2008 when ATC raised rates by 15% or more. Wouldn't recommend working here - at all. You will not have a work life balance.

Your competitors are on your heels - they are doing it RIGHT!

Great People, Great Benefits, Great Product

Current Employee - ATG Technology in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - ATG Technology in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader

Pros

-Awesome benefits
    -Great pay
    -Highly encourages team work, versus drawing targets on the backs of fellow co-workers
    -Fun environment (whole floor almost entirely dedicated to having fun with tv, billiards, ping-pong, video games, etc.)
    -Continuously growing company with a high demand product, even during a bad economy
    -Schedule flexibility
    -Ability to work from home occasionally

Cons

HR has been somewhat of a pain for me. When I started I was supposed to be set up with access to a lot of tools, to be provided by and handled through HR, and so much was missing when I arrived. I had to take extra time to personally fish for what I needed.

If you are a manager with a team, open up your schedule more so that your team can run more project progress/updates and questions by you, instead of telling your team to figure it out. Please give more guidance to your team.

There are newer employer reviews for AutoTrader