There are newer employer reviews for AutoTrader

Great company to work for... in most regions

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent Pay. Excellent Benefits. Excellent Bonuses. Good Flexibility

Cons

Illinois Region has poor management

Advice to Management

I felt like in my last years with the company lies were told and vision was not shared by management.

reviews filtered by

Poor Management & Director Staff

I worked at AutoTrader full-time

Pros

Initially, great pay (4% of total revenue) on top of salary.
    Dealer Sales had Service Consultants to help service the accounts, while Advertising Consultants (Sales) were allowed to SELL.

Cons

Commission structures changed on a quarterly basis. Territories constantly realigned. District Sales Managers (DSM's) rotated often. Many DSM's had poor people skills and/or no training (flying by the seat of their pants) - very unprofessional. Some that "thought" they were professional used typical sales strategies..."Wouldn't you agree, Mr. Dealer, that..." Dealers considered them a JOKE. Many DSM's were Advertising Consultants (Sales) who knew how to sell, but not how to manage others. When AutoTrader Magazine stopped the presses, the .com side used the help of print reps to sell online packages. Once these deals were inked, many of the print reps were laid off/fired. Also, huge layoffs and firings across the country, starting in 2008. The layoffs were done in large masses, doubling the work load of the Dealer Sales team. Many firings occurred over 2009, 2010, 2011 under the radar. Great overall site, but not focused on the consumer. Little testing with new products. Dealers sometimes lost faith in new products. Many dealers were burned in 2007/2008 when ATC raised rates by 15% or more. Wouldn't recommend working here - at all. You will not have a work life balance.

Advice to Management

Your competitors are on your heels - they are doing it RIGHT!

2. Love my role; love the company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the work that I do, and I have the freedom to do my job but also the guidance to continue to grow as an employee. Additionally, there always seem to be events, opportunities, prizes, giveaways, and snacks. It feels like they put a lot of emphasis on keeping employees engaged. I am, so I guess it's working!

Cons

Although I would consider it to be laid-back corporate, it's still a corporate environment, so if you're looking for a true dot-com feel, you may want to look elsewhere.