Autozone... It's a job.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, CA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are by far the best part. During my time there I made some really good friends and met a lot of people who brought joy to my life. If you are full time employee (for some positions such as mine, this meant a mandatory 50 hour work week with some days starting at 5 am) you get benefits and other perks that are nice. Plus if you are into cars you get a good employee discount. While the schedule can be killer. They were generally good about working around school schedules and other commitments.

Cons

The pay is painfully low for the amount of work you do. The divisional and regional management are often times incompetent and lack any sort of vision. They will often create more problems than they fix by scrambling to put out little fires that pop up rather than fix the real cause of the problems. I would not recommend making a career out of working there. However if you are looking for something temporary, it can fulfill a purpose so by all means apply. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely worse options out there. So go into it knowing that you will be subjected to a lot of decisions that will not make sense and often times you will feel that you are being jerked around.

Advice to Management

Bring in some fresh blood at the district, regional, and divisional levels. While I understand the importance of promoting from within, it is important that you promote based on merit, not just seniority. The position I worked in allowed me to interact regularly with district and regional staff and I found that many of them got to that higher level through attrition. There were numerous individuals whom I felt were painfully under-qualified for the responsibility they were given. So my advice to management would be to improve the upper level management talent because those are the people who set the stage for the success in the stores.

Other Employee Reviews for AutoZone

1. Company Culture is very closed minded

Former Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job opportunities are plentiful and easy to move into.

Cons

Retail culture is hard on store managers

Advice to Management

Take better care of store management

2. Can be a great career

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong product line, strong support staff.

Cons

Loss Prevention Practices, conflicts between store operations