There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone

Autozone... It's a job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Orange, CA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at AutoZone full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are by far the best part. During my time there I made some really good friends and met a lot of people who brought joy to my life. If you are full time employee (for some positions such as mine, this meant a mandatory 50 hour work week with some days starting at 5 am) you get benefits and other perks that are nice. Plus if you are into cars you get a good employee discount. While the schedule can be killer. They were generally good about working around school schedules and other commitments.

Cons

The pay is painfully low for the amount of work you do. The divisional and regional management are often times incompetent and lack any sort of vision. They will often create more problems than they fix by scrambling to put out little fires that pop up rather than fix the real cause of the problems. I would not recommend making a career out of working there. However if you are looking for something temporary, it can fulfill a purpose so by all means apply. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely worse options out there. So go into it knowing that you will be subjected to a lot of decisions that will not make sense and often times you will feel that you are being jerked around.

Bring in some fresh blood at the district, regional, and divisional levels. While I understand the importance of promoting from within, it is important that you promote based on merit, not just seniority. The position I worked in allowed me to interact regularly with district and regional staff and I found that many of them got to that higher level through attrition. There were numerous individuals whom I felt were painfully under-qualified for the responsibility they were given. So my advice to management would be to improve the upper level management talent because those are the people who set the stage for the success in the stores.

640 Other Employee Reviews for AutoZone (View Most Recent)

Can be a great career

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager  in  Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at AutoZone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong product line, strong support staff.

Cons

Loss Prevention Practices, conflicts between store operations

Autozone is a fun environment to work in

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at AutoZone part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good starting job for out of high school

Cons

sometimes its a slow day

should give more incentives to workers

There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!