Started out great

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Shorewood, IL
Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Shorewood, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours if the store you are working in, is in a decent location. Decent benefits. Not that hard to get promoted if you know what your doing. Company pays for ASE certification

Cons

Constant drama from upper management. Part-time employees refuse to do what the company requires and have a high turn over rate, makes management a lot harder. TONS of different reports to constantly stay on top of, and if your not, your going down fast. Also, get married to your store because that's all you will have time for.

Advice to Management

Get a good crew and be prepared to be tough on your people. Upper management expects the world out of you with nothing in return.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Fast paced and friendly.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customer service. Being able to help everyone that walk through the door physically and mental.

Cons

Bad scheduling, and poor communications of upper managment

Advice to Management

Stop trying to build programs to help us and let us do the job that you expect. Stay true to old values of doing anything we can to help a customer.

Autozone... It's a job.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are by far the best part. During my time there I made some really good friends and met a lot of people who brought joy to my life. If you are full time employee (for some positions such as mine, this meant a mandatory 50 hour work week with some days starting at 5 am) you get benefits and other perks that are nice. Plus if you are into cars you get a good employee discount. While the schedule can be killer. They were generally good about working around school schedules and other commitments.

Cons

The pay is painfully low for the amount of work you do. The divisional and regional management are often times incompetent and lack any sort of vision. They will often create more problems than they fix by scrambling to put out little fires that pop up rather than fix the real cause of the problems. I would not recommend making a career out of working there. However if you are looking for something temporary, it can fulfill a purpose so by all means apply. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely worse options out there. So go into it knowing that you will be subjected to a lot of decisions that will not make sense and often times you will feel that you are being jerked around.

Advice to Management

Bring in some fresh blood at the district, regional, and divisional levels. While I understand the importance of promoting from within, it is important that you promote based on merit, not just seniority. The position I worked in allowed me to interact regularly with district and regional staff and I found that many of them got to that higher level through attrition. There were numerous individuals whom I felt were painfully under-qualified for the responsibility they were given. So my advice to management would be to improve the upper level management talent because those are the people who set the stage for the success in the stores.