AutoZone
www.autozone.com Memphis, TN 5000+ Employees

Great job for part time with flexibility or for a career with advancement

Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoZone part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have worked in different districts and under different store and district managers. I have good and bad experiences. I have had SMs and DMs cuss me and threaten my job and never give requested days off. But then I have also experienced great management. Very professional. Worked with my schedule while I completed school. It's retail, nothing is set. They are flexible but you must be as well as far as days, nights, weekends. Your discount isn't just on parts, you get discounts at retail clothing outlets, on HP computers, at the Apple store, at dealerships on cars, and even 20 percent off your cell phone bill, go to benefits on DOC and check it out! Under the right management advancement within the company is easily accomplished. Most people in the company want you to move up if you are a great employee. I suggest transfer to another store or district before quitting and then move up if you have trouble. HR is there for you and quick to help if needed. The pay is decent. The people are great.

ConsInsurance sucks especially for part time employees. Part time employees may get few hours, like 10 a week, at slow stores or be forced into over time at high volume stores. Raises are kind of a joke don't expect much. You may have to be at the store until 9-11pm and turn around and be back at 7am.... it's retail, if you want a 9-5 mon- fri job, keep looking it's not here. Store managers can be expected to put in 50-70hrs a week since they are salary. Yes you have to push little extras with everything you sell. They track it to you personally. It can annoy customers especially if they are regulars, but you are doing your job. You are being paid to a job so just do it. You are being paid because this company makes millions off those little extra packs a year. What seems like $5 extra in one day to you is millions in one day across all the stores. People that are complaining they can't advance but also say the up sale is stupid don't deserve to move up because they don't see the big picture or the "business" that this is. Sell the stuff, it's the reason you have a job. Ability to sell is put above automotive knowledge in most cases during hiring. Use the computer as a tool. It can explain how to do most jobs so you can explain it to your customer. To move into any position above district management you will more than likely need a 4 year degree, you may need a 2 year to just advance to DM. I have worked for the company for a few years. I am a part time employee. I plan on advancing. Everyone has been helpful in explaining the steps I need to take to get there. They were flexible with me while I attended school. There is a lot of heavy lifting. You will be in the rain, snow, cold, hot, and dark doing batteries, wipers, ect....

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways praise employees when they get the numbers you want. Acknowledge the work they put in, it means a lot. Don't just get on to them when they don't do well. Balance is important. And make sure no one is cussing or threatening jobs at any store. SM's and DM's should be professional. And humans should not be treated like that and I would least expect it from a company as great as this. Weed out the ones that are unprofessional. Moral is important to the company because it is important to the employees. Ask me the turn over at the store that treated their employees badly? High! The ones that treat employees well? Low. It builds loyalty in your employees. They stay and take pride in their job and want to preform well for good managers and want to be a team. Employees you treat badly are gonna steal from you, do their job half butt, be late, and quit on you and it's your fault!

Very decent place of employment.

Parts Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Toledo, OH

I have been working at AutoZone full-time for less than a year

Pros: I am lucky to have great people to work with, the pay is decent and… Cons: Sometimes too much emphasis is put on things that don't matter, some priorities need to be rearranged. I often hear other employees not being as… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Alright for a part time job

Cashier/Driver (Former Employee)
Brookfield, CT

I worked at AutoZone part-time for more than a year

Pros: Flexible Hours, Close to Home Cons: Low pay, Insurance really isnt that good Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on AutoZone.

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoZone reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AutoZone CEO Bill Rhodes III. All reviews posted anonymously by AutoZone employees.