AutoZone

There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone

not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Watertown, NY
Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Watertown, NY

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent pay, can be fun at times.

Cons

no support from managment, alot of disrespectful managers.

learn to practice what you preach

692 Other Employee Reviews for AutoZone (View Most Recent)

Great job for part time with flexibility or for a career with advancement

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in different districts and under different store and district managers. I have good and bad experiences. I have had SMs and DMs cuss me and threaten my job and never give requested days off. But then I have also experienced great management. Very professional. Worked with my schedule while I completed school. It's retail, nothing is set. They are flexible but you must be as well as far as days, nights, weekends. Your discount isn't just on parts, you get discounts at retail clothing outlets, on HP computers, at the Apple store, at dealerships on cars, and even 20 percent off your cell phone bill, go to benefits on DOC and check it out! Under the right management advancement within the company is easily accomplished. Most people in the company want you to move up if you are a great employee. I suggest transfer to another store or district before quitting and then move up if you have trouble. HR is there for you and quick to help if needed. The pay is decent. The people are great.

Cons

Insurance sucks especially for part time employees. Part time employees may get few hours, like 10 a week, at slow stores or be forced into over time at high volume stores. Raises are kind of a joke don't expect much. You may have to be at the store until 9-11pm and turn around and be back at 7am.... it's retail, if you want a 9-5 mon- fri job, keep looking it's not here. Store managers can be expected to put in 50-70hrs a week since they are salary. Yes you have to push little extras with everything you sell. They track it to you personally. It can annoy customers especially if they are regulars, but you are doing your job. You are being paid to a job so just do it. You are being paid because this company makes millions off those little extra packs a year. What seems like $5 extra in one day to you is millions in one day across all the stores. People that are complaining they can't advance but also say the up sale is stupid don't deserve to move up because they don't see the big picture or the "business" that this is. Sell the stuff, it's the reason you have a job. Ability to sell is put above automotive knowledge in most cases during hiring. Use the computer as a tool. It can explain how to do most jobs so you can explain it to your customer. To move into any position above district management you will more than likely need a 4 year degree, you may need a 2 year to just advance to DM. I have worked for the company for a few years. I am a part time employee. I plan on advancing. Everyone has been helpful in explaining the steps I need to take to get there. They were flexible with me while I attended school. There is a lot of heavy lifting. You will be in the rain, snow, cold, hot, and dark doing batteries, wipers, ect....

Always praise employees when they get the numbers you want. Acknowledge the work they put in, it means a lot. Don't just get on to them when they don't do well. Balance is important. And make sure no one is cussing or threatening jobs at any store. SM's and DM's should be professional. And humans should not be treated like that and I would least expect it from a company as great as this. Weed out the ones that are unprofessional. Moral is important to the company because it is important to the employees. Ask me the turn over at the store that treated their employees badly? High! The ones that treat employees well? Low. It builds loyalty in your employees. They stay and take pride in their job and want to preform well for good managers and want to be a team. Employees you treat badly are gonna steal from you, do their job half butt, be late, and quit on you and it's your fault!

Money hungry, doesn't give a crap about employees or customers, garbage company

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is that working for this garbage company made me appreciate the job i have now and the time i have to spend with my family so much more.

Cons

Everything
    The hours were HORRIBLE
    The shifts were up to and very frequently 11 and a half hours long with an hour break one hour in with no other break
    Severely understaffed so a lot of times it would be one person running the whole store, commercial included
    You work EVERY single weekend and never see your family
    Forced to work every Sunday morning even though i asked off so i could go to church but the people who didn't go to church were off every Sunday
    They think negative reinforcement and threatening to fire you actually work for motivation
    They honestly do not a FLIP about the employees or customers.
    Every day we were threatened to be fired if we didn't make people come in the store and buy stupid WITTDTJR. which was actually not what it took to do the job rite.
    The products they sell were the cheapest junk they could get from the lowest bidder which wad constantly being changed by another Chinese company that offered it cheaper
    Was called the Twilightzone due to brain dead management.
    Store managers were reported to district managers for lying to customers to get them to buy that periods focus item or any item but the district manager told us to stop sending him complaints
    Store managers would ignore customers and avoid work
    One particular manager lied about knowing items were in the store to set up employees and got 3 people fired, one who had worked there 1212 years, another who was probably the best, most knowledgeable person ever to work there.
    Terrible pay with the biggest slap in the face raises ever. Average of about .12 cents an hour per year
    Would promise promotions and opportunities but never deliver
    The only reason i gave them one star on the following is because there wasn't an option for less
    I laughed so hard at the part about values
    The turn around rate is unbelievable due to poor management
    You get trapped because of the terrible hours its hard to find another job

Quit