There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone

Good place to work, salary a fair.

Current Employee - Commercial Specialist
Current Employee - Commercial Specialist

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the people I work with and enjoy my job.

Cons

Salary is on the low end and amount of hours you can work depends on the business coming in at the time.

Advice to Management

I believe corporate should think about less across the board tactics for business, and look at decisions based more on the locational demographics of the stores. We have small commercial customers that are moving there business elsewhere because they are not even offered the smallest incentive to maintain a relationship with autozone, even the military is offered a courtesy discount. I feel if the amount these customers spend was tabulated are store has lost a significant amount of sales.

reviews filtered by

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at AutoZone part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros

Cons

The only bad thing is overworked underpaid

Advice to Management

Don't work here

Underpaid Parts Sales Manager, Company promotes from the outside.

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro that I can say would be that my coworkers were awesome. Also, I suppose if you work on cars a lot the discount is helpful.

Cons

Underpaid management for all the responsibilities they throw onto you.

Very understaffed, and not due to lack of people but "hours" being to high.

You can count on running around like a chicken with your head cut off on the weekends, look to have 3 people working, and dealing with up to 200 customers a day, at a slow store.

They do not value their employees, they would rather hire in outsiders into Assistant Store Manager and up instead of rewarding and valuing the employees that have put their time and effort in the company.

As for part-time CSR's (red shirts), you can look to get around 20 hours and be working 5 days a week. Starting pay for CSRs is around 8$, PSMs don't look to make more than 10$.

All they are concerned about is KPI's(Key Performance Indicators) aKa the junk they try to get you to push onto the customers. To put it simply, you either harass your customer to buy a little one oz pack of grease for their bulb, battery, brake pads, etc., or else you will get no hours. Not fired, but no hours on the schedule. They also track rewards cards, how many parts you put on hold, phone shops are ridiculous, air filters with oil changes, stuff like that. On top of all that you will be installing batteries and light bulbs checking countless engine lights and have people expecting you to diagnose their car like we are a mechanic shop.

The customers will treat you just as bad as management, and you have nobody to back you up on tough issues like those customers that come in everyday expecting you to refund a junkyard battery they have no record of buying.

Don't even try to say NO because as soon as they call your District Manager you will have to do whatever they want in addition to giving them a discount.

As far as management goes, don't expect to go any higher than a PSM unless you are bilingual, or a major brown noser.

Annual raises for any position you can expect 10 cents or less.

If you are fortunate enough to be full time, the insurance coverage is good but outrageous in price. I have the same policy and same insurance company at my new employer, but at 150$ less a month for me.

Advice to Management

Value and promote your employees instead of hiring in from the outside and losing your dedicated employees. Stand behind your policies. Offer better raises and incentives. Offer some sort of commission for all the stuff you require your employees to push. Stand behind long standing values.

There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone