AutoZone
www.autozone.com Memphis, TN 5000+ Employees

Corporate office in Memphis ok, upward mobility difficult. The corporate office is dedicated to their 5K stores.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

ProsGood place to start a corporate job, to learn one type of corporate culture (they require you to shout a cheer and pledge before most meetings)
Location of office in downtown Memphis on Mississippi River
Free downtown parking
At a certain grade level, benefits package is great--Bonus, 401K, stock options, etc.
The corporate office is very dedicated to the retail stores, require "store dress" uniform day every Monday, otherwise business casual. No casual Fridays.
There are many long-time AutoZoners, people who have been working there for 20-35 years, which can be a good thing and a bad thing.
The corporate office really emphasizes employee recognition for a good job.

ConsThe internal depts are not integrated, don't use SAP, ERP, etc. to tie systems together. Systems are mostly home-grown and patched together.
The internal depts act as silos, independently, so communication can be tough. There's a lot of "old-school" thinking.
Upward mobility difficult, like to move senior management laterally to develop them but difficult to execute anything with constant movement
Pay is below corporate averages for similar jobs in other places

Advice to Senior ManagementLateral senior management moves only hurt the employees under them. If the expectation is to review, do gap analysis, develop plan, implement, and review, then give us that time to execute without changing senior management, because you inevitably have to start over with a new strategy each time.
There should be a lot more collaboration among departments.
The pay should reflect the job requirements.
The company should upgrade their systems to catch up to the 21st century.

New to Auto Zone

I have been working at AutoZone full-time for less than a year

Pros: good discounts,fun,fast pace,I have good manager Cons: don't have any con right now.. Advice to Senior Management: Cant give any yet Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Rapid promotions when you're competent.

Commercial Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Inverness, FL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: You can move up fairly fast when you have a positive mindset. If you are experienced as an… Cons: If you are not a Commercial employee you better expect to work all kinds of different shifts with very little consistency in your schedule. … Advice to Senior Management: Chill out a bit with the witt and check out challenge requirements. Or give an incentive for the the level of grief you give… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on AutoZone.

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoZone reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AutoZone CEO Bill Rhodes III. All reviews posted anonymously by AutoZone employees.