There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone

Worst place I have

Former Employee - Hub Driver in Kennewick, WA
Former Employee - Hub Driver in Kennewick, WA

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to expand your automotive knowledge. Some benefits including 25% discount from Sprint. Lots of vehicle-specific information is available on their Znet. Employee discounts really add up if you enjoy working in the garage.

Cons

Low pay for the workload, constantly understaffed, no room for advancement, pay raises barely cover next year's inflation, managers are just glorified sales associates with no additional training, ridiculous policies, cruel work environment in some circumstances.

Start training your managers so you wont need 5 of them to every 2 red shirts. If you are going to remotely regulate the temperature in the stores at least make sure the more labor intensive stores receive more cooling, 74 degrees feels comfortable in an office environment but inside an already understaffed hub store it is blazing hot. Put cruise control on your delivery vans, cruise control is a crucial tool when driving 7+ hours a day in the mountains, with a speed monitoring device might I add. Choose your district managers more carefully.

reviews filtered by

Has gone from good to bad to very bad

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Helping people with their problems - meeting people - Discount

Cons

The Zoners have become throw-a-way employees. You may sell $200 dollars of parts but if you don't sell the $1.39 packs, you are screwed. These packs and the checkout challenge are more important than helping the customer. Hours have been cut back so much that customer service suffers. I enjoy my job, just not who I work for. This is after over 11 years.

Realize that the Zoners are the most important thing in your store. We have to have some knowledge to do our job. I can go down the street to a convenience store and make more money.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Delivery Driver in North Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Delivery Driver in North Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoZone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with customers and keeping busy, as well as installing certain parts, can be fun.

Cons

The pay is poor both for non-managers and managers. There are few incentives to move up in the company, and there is little encouragement and an abundance of criticism from upper management. There seems to be a lack of sufficient concern for providing help for customers, and more concern with making money for the much-higher-ups.

Maybe if upper management demonstrated a little more interest in the regular, everyday store employees who directly interact with the customers, they would see a greater level of customer satisfaction. I believe happy employees who are commended on their strengths as much as they are on their shortcomings are happier and more loyal to the company that they work for. Respect breeds respect.

There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone