AutoZone

There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone

Room for advancement

Current Employee - Red Shirt in Irwin, PA
Current Employee - Red Shirt in Irwin, PA

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easily promoted
learning exp.
flexible schedule

Cons

Start as part time
Must push merchandise that doesnt make sense
Too many managers

Quit caring about $1.39 packets of grease.

753 Other Employee Reviews for AutoZone (View Most Recent)

This company was great until greed to grow stock price pushed people away

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company car, Company expense account, tablet, cell phone allowance and good training

Cons

This is a major micro managed company they stifle creativity

Stop watching how high the stock can go and fix your stores, start paying the people Regional staff down and stop raising targets so people can get paid.

Two years experience on both the DIY and Commercial side.

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relatively small stores make for less busy work than you'd encounter in most retail settings. Most of my co-workers over the past two years have been pretty decent. The 20% discount can come in handy, though that really depends on how much you actually work on your own car. You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people.

Cons

I'll start with the dress code. Autozone is so cheap they won't issue their employees shirts. I haven't run across a company requiring uniforms that didn't issue shirts, at a minimum, in my entire life. Then they will try to nitpick anything you wear, so it's a pretty obvious attempt to force employees to buy their own shirts from Autozone. I seriously had a DM once freak out about a small Nike logo on the front pocket of my shirt. So expect management to take an unreasonable, and often illegal, approach to the dress code.
    Secondly, the dress code is just stuffy and out of date. I mean seriously, what company actively tries to police the color socks their employees are wearing anymore? Go into any O'Riley's or NAPA and they've got on polo shirts and jeans. Or t-shirts in the case of a lot of the franchise NAPA's. It creates a very unrelaxed and stuffy environment that goes well beyond a legit need to have employees be easy to identify.
    Autozone really needs to do a better job in their marketing with regards to battery and light bulb installs. When there are huge signs everywhere advertising free installs and only barely visible language stating the limit of the scope of those services it creates a lot of situations with angry customers. A lot of people just don't understand why you can't spend 30 minutes taking the splash guard apart so you can install a battery in the wheel well and they're only fueled by misleading signage that promised them a free install.
    The obsession with WITTJDR gets old really fast. I get the upsale is just a part of retail, and I don't even mind doing it. But don't sit there and expect me to lie to customers. You don't need to use bulb grease, and I'm not going to tell someone otherwise.

It's long past time to modernize the dress code, Autozone looks like it's stuck in the 1980's. Signage offering free install should just be taken down. Employees are more than willing to do it, most of us work there because we like cars after all. Removing the signs would just stop situations with angry customers because the specifics of their car require more than we're allowed to do and it would stop pressuring employees to try to do things beyond their individual capabilities to avoid angry customer situations.
    WITTDJR needs to be revamped and COC needs to be eliminated. People aren't stupid and realize what's going on when one month Lucas fuel injector cleaner is the greatest ever and the next month Gumout is.

There are newer employer reviews for AutoZone