Room for advancement

Current Employee - Red Shirt in Irwin, PA
Current Employee - Red Shirt in Irwin, PA

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easily promoted
learning exp.
flexible schedule

Cons

Start as part time
Must push merchandise that doesnt make sense
Too many managers

Advice to Management

Quit caring about $1.39 packets of grease.

reviews filtered by
  1. What a Great Company!

Current Intern - Intern in Memphis, TN
    Current Intern - Intern in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AutoZone as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to grow into. Many employees have been there for many years. I have met zoners who have worked for Autozone for over 20 years. You dont really here people say that anymore. Everyone is sincerely friendly and it feels like a family away from home.

Cons

I have only been with Autozone for a short time, but I have yet to see any cons that would defer me from working with this company.

Advice to Management

Just from what I have seen, I would like to see management be a little more involved with their employees. Get to know them better so that you are able to recognize strengths about your team.

The AutoZone Life: Red Shirt

Current Employee - Auto Parts Sales in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Auto Parts Sales in Katy, TX

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% employee discount on some items, the company gives us an extra 15 minutes to get to work without receiving a point if you don't arrive exactly on time, there's always something new to learn, working there can be a lot of fun if you have the right staff, and during the weekends (sometimes) , the store receives extra hours and a manager may call you to see if you'd like to work for those extra hours. Discounts with T-Mobile services, mortgage, car insurance, etc.

Cons

Part time workers do not receive a paid vacation even if you've been with the company for a long time, benefits aren't that great, especially since they take so much out of your paycheck, rude customers, horrible training (they basically throw you out there for you to learn on your own), the company offers free services: read codes if a vehicle has a check engine light on, battery, starter, and alternator testing, battery, bulbs, and wiper blades (depends on vehicle) installment. We aren't getting paid extra to do these services! We are required to sell with no commission, we all clean our restrooms, mop, sweep and stock our own merchandise. Work schedule is always changing, it is never constant and hours being received are often increasing or decreasing.

Advice to Management

Store managers: I remember when I first got hired I was extremely scared of being on the floor with no proper training what's so ever. If you would please take the time to explain to the new employees how the system works, for example: wittdtjr, to always scan reward card even if it isn't over the $20 so we can still get the amount of percentages we need to meet our goal, to use credit or debit card on the computers instead of using the cash register, to always be friendly on the phone and put as many parts on hold as possible, always order from the HUB or VDP to increase our percentages. Guide or teach the new employees how to properly scan a vehicle before making the decision on installing batteries, bulbs and wiper blades and of course teach them how to install these items as well. And one more thing, on item of the month, I've seen a lot of you (store managers) not even trying to sell those things and expect everyone else to sell, we aren't receiving bonuses (nothing at all in that matter) by selling those items, you are, so please, try and sell as well. Train your team, motivate them, without team work, there will be no success.