There are newer employer reviews for Autobytel

A great place to mail it in and collect a paycheck if you don't really care anymore.

I worked at Autobytel

Pros

-Collect a high paycheck if you can convince them you're worth it
-Good benefits (HMO insurance, standard number of company holidays, vacation time)
-Generally low-pressure except when the CEO is throwing a temper tantrum directly at you
-Wear what you want

Cons

Autobytel. A company that has been around since the beginning of the internet, yet has made almost no money except through M&A's. A real "not for profit" corporation, but not because it's a 501(c)(3). Autobytel is a great place to work if you live in Orange County, like mailing it in, and enjoy collecting paychecks. They've managed to shed a lot of bad people through numerous layoffs over the years, but they still have plenty of them left. Highly paid directors, officers, directors of officers, you get the gist of it. I have never worked with more incompetent people in my career, throughout all levels and functions of the organization (though to be fair, there are some shining stars). Autobytel is a total you-know-what show, with upper management that is completely out of touch with the internet, its users, and technology. If you like Buzzword Bingo, Autobytel is the place for you. Excuses, buzzwords, and euphemisms abound for why this, that, or the other failed (or failed miserably). They've recently managed to attain profitability through the acquisition of another highly profitable auto leads company that actually knows what they are doing. The unfortunate fact is that this tiny little company has an entire 100+ person company on life support -- thus rendering said company largely useless. The company's flagship website, Autobytel.com, is visited by virtually no one (which any institutional investor with some smarts and the ability to use Compete.com should be able figure out), while all of the company's "internally generated" leads actually come from little-known websites such as those owned by the auto leads company it acquired.

Technology and internet are the fast-changing domain of innovators, a group of people seemingly absent from this organization headed up with a largely 65+ Board of Directors. What is Autobytel? A 3rd party leads company that is the friend of dealers? A me-too consumer website that is the friend of consumers? A technology company? While (slight) profitability has been attained, now what? A company with no strategic vision and no answer of what it is or what it wants to be, that is deeply hindered by its status as public.

13 Other Employee Reviews for Autobytel (View Most Recent)

Rocky Road

I worked at Autobytel

Pros

Cool industry. Casual environment. Good location. Fair pay. I learned a lot while I was there from some great minds.

Cons

Autobytel has been through some tough times, and i don't believe they are out of the woods yet. It was a good experience while working there, but we went through a lot of tough time and some very good people were let go.

Very rewarding

Former Employee - Systems Engineer/Helpdesk in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer/Helpdesk in Irvine, CA

I worked at Autobytel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong management staff on board

Cons

Less than competitive pay compared to others

Keep up the good work