There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk

What was once a great place to work is losing its luster

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Global company in a growing and interesting industry with a great product line and growth opportunities. There is a lot to learn and experience. If you get in to the right group with good manager or VP it is a great place to work.

The flexible work environment, work-life balance (although this aspect has been fading in recent years), and support for family time are really great.

Employee training and focus on developing skills is also a great reason to work at Autodesk.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement with promotions very dependent on the group you are in. If you have the good fortune to be in a group that is not crowded you have a greater chance to being promoted then in larger groups. This has more impact on your prospects then if you are qualified and have a great track record. Usually the best strategy is to move teams but this can be tricky. The internal politics around products and revenue associated with products is a little tired it feels like you are in competition with other divisions more then with other competitors.

Layoffs, restructuring, and "doing more with less" are taxing employee morale and turning Autodesk into just another place to work and not something special.

Focus on making this a great place to work and building great products and less on optimizing EPS, the stock price or margins. If you focus on the people, the customer and product the rest will follow. There is a lot of penny wise and pound foolish behavior.

reviews filtered by
  1. Autodesk, not perfect but still great place to work!

Current Employee - Database Administrator in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Autodesk is a great place to work simply because of the people. Folks here are very passionate about their job and it shows in meetings and discussions throughout the day. There's also been a lot of improvement over the past couple years with regards to insight into things that are occurring at the senior management level. This help a lot with eliminating many of the rumors we'd otherwise have and definitely gives us (individual employees) a feeling that our voices are heard and we are indeed part of this organization.

Cons

No company is perfect, and Autodesk is no exception. One of the big downfalls of a global company with various divisions is that after a while you begin to feel like you're working with multiple companies inside your company. By that I mean, it's very easy to get lost in your own division (say IT) and completely lose insight and awareness of things going on in other divisions of the company. Sometimes things that go on in Product Development I hear first from outside the company than within. I don't believe the walls are up intentionally but more so just as a custom.

Please continue to work on breaking down the silos and improve communication and visibility across divisions.

2. Good company to work for and a leader in the design field.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Autodesk is a strong company and established leader in the design field. They have a great diversity of exciting products in a field that is hard for other companies to break into. The compensation and benefits package is good.

Cons

Complex business processes cost the company and slow them down. Management could be stronger. Innovation in business systems is behind the technology curve.

Simplify the business processes to make it easier for customers to work with and to make company more dynamic and scalable. Simplify decision making process, placing more trust in individual contributors to make decisions and act in best interest of company.

There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk