Autodesk

www.autodesk.com
  www.autodesk.com
There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk

Autodesk, a good company looking to become a great company

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA
Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Autodesk is filled with talented people, all tryinhg to make a difference. The work environment is fun but focused. The CAD software industry is fairly mature but at the same time has lots of room for growth as adoption of technology improves and companies expand. The benefits and salary are both above average, and it is one of the few large employers left in Marin County (although that has been decresing in recent years). The company has a broad mix of products, so that you can move from division to divsion to find a good fit for your background and talents.

Cons

Autodesk has a long history which can prevent it from moveing forward as actively as it would like to. There is a fair amount of internal politics, usually above board and between divisons as they compete for resources. Internal operations can be cumersome, the company has many outdate systems that are slowly being replaced or enhanced.

Focus on your core business, select a few opportunites and pursue them more precisely

557 Other Employee Reviews for Autodesk (View Most Recent)

Things are looking up despite the belt-tightening.

Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

I find the people at Autodesk to be collaborative, friendly, capable and eager to do a good job. That in itself is a huge positive factor, because the general vibe is positive. I also happen to have a great boss, who gives good feedback and keeps us as informed as possible about what is happening. Autodesk is reorganizing and reinvesting at the moment, and overall it seems like things are going in the right direction. They encourage us to proactively find ways to be of service to customers, and to take an active role in making our products better than merely good enough.

Cons

The line of communication between Autodesk and the people who use their products is good, because there are multiple routes for this information, but as a company there are still some disconnect. With travel budgets slashed it is harder to maintain connection with customers. Conferences and training have also been cut, so it seems they are not prioritizing professional growth at the moment. With the stock low, that is understandable. The salaries have also been frozen this year to help us survive this down economy.

The culture of how people communicate and how products are developed is a bit too undefined at times, making it difficult sometimes to gain momentum on products because the vision is unclear. Flexibility is good, but unclear expectations don't move us ahead.

With regards to the flow of corporate information, management usually seems to want to tell us whatever they are allowed by law to say. However, sometimes it still feels like we have surprises looming, and when layoffs happen there's not much discussion about it. It can feel a little like an elephant in the room. At the moment another round has been mentioned as a possibility.

It is good to be encouraging a startup level of energy, and a never-satisfied attitude about the products. Getting different results requires doing different things, and you need to trust us to apply the tools and techniques that will make our products better. This is easier said than done; we can't just ignore the fact that we are larger than a startup, and sometimes there are roadblocks that come from that. We need vision beyond "work smarter", and as professionals we'd like a voice in future strategy.

Satisfied, but it could be SO much better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Very nice people. Good work atmosphere. Strong benefits. Leader within its domain.

Cons

The work/life balance is too strong here. People just don't work all that hard. They value bringing their dog to work and eating vegan cookies in the cafeteria more than putting in late hours.

Bring younger people here. Hire more MBAs. Centralize the Company in San Francisco and drive away the Marin personality this company is tagged with. The Company is at an inflection point - either continue as the "CAD" company or redefine and grow to be something better. Ask the average tech guy to list the top 20 tech companies in the bay area and ADSK would not even be on that list. We're associated with an industry that last innovated in the early 90s. Half the people here could not find a similar job/role within another leading tech company (Cisco/Oracle/Google/etc).

There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk