Autodesk
www.autodesk.com San Rafael, CA 5000+ Employees

A marvelous place to work - but beware the politicos!

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSuper smart people, world-changing technology. Autodesk have managed to raise the lowly engineer to the level of Geek Superhero - in fact, they were just named one of the Universum Top 100 Ideal Employers for engineering students.

In the right role, one can change the future. Autodesk is a powerful enabler in many spaces, and smart, young people can truly excel in this company.

Autodesk transformed drafting and design back in the 1980's, and they continue to lead the world in engineering technology, design, visualization and future techologies (e.g., additive manufacturing, green buildings and engineering simulation). Great benefits and above-scale pay. Super corporate stewardship for many sustainable efforts - Autodesk gives back to the world.

In the right team, you'll have fun while changing the world. The average Autodesker is more than just smart - he or she is probably a fun-loving prankster / comedian, too. Seriously, the work atmosphere is intense but when this they take a break from their task lists, the majority of functional teams have a great time together. This alone can make work at Autodesk very, very worthwhile.

ConsOMG, this place can be a political HELL. For each team that is run by a competent, forward-thinking leader, there are at least two that are managed as feudal fiefdoms. Simplification is generally not the rule here - systems and processes can be stifling in their complexity. If you're smart and ready to step on others to move up... you've come to the right place!

On the other hand, if you're brilliant but not willing to slice a peer's throat to get a shot at a promotion... well, be prepared for a long, well-paid life of general frustration. Yes, it's clearly that bad. Don't come here looking for a career. The chances of moving up are 1 in 1000.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarl, PLEASE hire a COO to run the business whilst you're off building the future, OK? I fear that if you don't, it'll all be for naught. PLEASE.

Then, re-evaluate your middle management layer - many of them are off building their own empires and have forgotten what we stand for at Autodesk. I'll tell you how I'd do it: I'd simply ask them to define our core initiatives for Manufacturing and AEC/ENI, in 50 words or less, WITHOUT quoting a marketing tagline. You'll know immediately which of them don't have a clue.

Finally - let the smart people rule. You have a LOT of smart people in your organization. Let them shine!

The best people are in the trenches

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Smart, creative, collaborative people Casual dress code, flex time Interesting successful products… Cons: Heavily political environment Smart creative people aren't promoted, ambitious narcissists climb… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on better management - not only better managers of people, but also smart, visionary -… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Such a waste of talent and potential - heartbreaking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autodesk full-time

Pros: Amazing people Great Work/Life balance Great products Solid positioning in the design field Cons: Totally inefficient organization - Senior management seriously lacks experience and ambition, work for own interest only Political game present everywhere - a lot of promises… Advice to Senior Management: A big cleanup is absolutely required - but this time don't just reorg by shuffling senior managers around - Get… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Autodesk.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!

Autodesk – Why Work for Us?

Change is all around us, from a global population boom and spiraling energy costs to worldwide commoditization and climate change. The environment in which we live is rapidly shifting, and that change means opportunity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autodesk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Autodesk CEO Carl Bass. All reviews posted anonymously by Autodesk employees.