There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk

A marvelous place to work - but beware the politicos!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Super smart people, world-changing technology. Autodesk have managed to raise the lowly engineer to the level of Geek Superhero - in fact, they were just named one of the Universum Top 100 Ideal Employers for engineering students. In the right role, one can change the future. Autodesk is a powerful enabler in many spaces, and smart, young people can truly excel in this company. Autodesk transformed drafting and design back in the 1980's, and they continue to lead the world in engineering technology, design, visualization and future techologies (e.g., additive manufacturing, green buildings and engineering simulation). Great benefits and above-scale pay. Super corporate stewardship for many sustainable efforts - Autodesk gives back to the world. In the right team, you'll have fun while changing the world. The average Autodesker is more than just smart - he or she is probably a fun-loving prankster / comedian, too. Seriously, the work atmosphere is intense but when this they take a break from their task lists, the majority of functional teams have a great time together. This alone can make work at Autodesk very, very worthwhile.

Cons

OMG, this place can be a political HELL. For each team that is run by a competent, forward-thinking leader, there are at least two that are managed as feudal fiefdoms. Simplification is generally not the rule here - systems and processes can be stifling in their complexity. If you're smart and ready to step on others to move up... you've come to the right place! On the other hand, if you're brilliant but not willing to slice a peer's throat to get a shot at a promotion... well, be prepared for a long, well-paid life of general frustration. Yes, it's clearly that bad. Don't come here looking for a career. The chances of moving up are 1 in 1000.

Advice to Management

Carl, PLEASE hire a COO to run the business whilst you're off building the future, OK? I fear that if you don't, it'll all be for naught. PLEASE. Then, re-evaluate your middle management layer - many of them are off building their own empires and have forgotten what we stand for at Autodesk. I'll tell you how I'd do it: I'd simply ask them to define our core initiatives for Manufacturing and AEC/ENI, in 50 words or less, WITHOUT quoting a marketing tagline. You'll know immediately which of them don't have a clue. Finally - let the smart people rule. You have a LOT of smart people in your organization. Let them shine!

Other Employee Reviews for Autodesk

1. Very fun and laid back atmosphere in the San Francisco office

Current Intern - Research Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Research Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hardworking and vocal employees As an intern your hours are flexible San Francisco office has a museum with all of Autodesk's work as well as 3-d printing Very nice staff

Cons

The San Rafael office is lack luster from what I've heard, so they bring clients their San Fran office which has the Autodesk museum.

Advice to Management

Overall I think management is in a good place

Great products and Benefits

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

6 week sabbatical every 4 years Flexible work life benefits Provides you to be creative

Cons

More red tape than you would expect for a company of its size Disrupts work-groups and teams by conducting reorganizations on average of two times a year Does not provide a robust program to support the cost of advanced University degrees

Advice to Management

Learn how to manager people and systems more efficiently and give you people time to execute