Autodesk

www.autodesk.com

Pleasant place to work, but limited career development opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Base salary is ok, but RSUs and bonus really add up after a couple of years. People are generally pleasant to work with. Cool technology and exciting business model transition.

Cons

Impossible to get promoted, especially within ISM. If you want to make director, better off going elsewhere. vacation policy sucks, difficult to get things done sometimes. lot of people who can say no to something...very few who can say yes.

Need better rotation programs - a lot of middle management will likely leave in the next year or two.

Other Reviews for Autodesk

Good Company doing Good Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people. Low office politics. Leadership is smart and caring overall. Feels like high integrity place, focused on the right things: having the right business model, growing the business, making customers successful and creating a compelling culture and work environment for employees. Vision: helping people imagine, design and create a better world.

Cons

Like many companies that are engineering based, whether you get the right resources and support is dependent upon which group you work in. If you're in a product group, you will likely get more; support area, a lot less. The CEO is smart and knows the business, but he also has a brusque no-nonsense and often unnecessarily "rough around the edges" style that can be intimidating and not invite people to give open feedback. This can contribute to an "Emperor wearing no clothes" situation where even senior leaders don't challenge the CEO. Anytime you have that dynamic, you are shortchanging the culture, the best ideas and people's ability to really do their best.

Hire more senior leaders from outside the company who can stand up to the CEO. Get the CEO to modify his leadership style to listen more and invite differing views, be more respectful. Promote/hire more women in senior roles (male dominated leadership team creates limited views and re-enforces old world approaches that are rapidly becoming outdated. Loosen up compensation budgets so people make more than 2-3% a year in merit increases.

5 1/2 Really Great Years & Counting at Autodesk

Current Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Autodesk software is used to create truly amazing things from the products we use, the building we inhabit, the roads we drive on and the 3D entertainment we watch and play. I love getting to work on interesting projects with smart people, and I've had the opportunity to lead a large team and take on more responsibility each year. The great thing about Autodesk is that hard work and good results are rewarded with more resources to scale those results, not simply more work. This is a real contrast to larger tech companies who are constantly cost cutting. Another thing I really like is that no matter what function I interact with in the company from finance, legal, marketing, engineering, IT, HR etc., people tend to be really good and fun to work with on the whole. It's refreshing when marketing and legal can actually get along! There are also awesome benefits for U.S. employees like a 6-week paid sabbatical every 4 years. That sabbatical is a huge retention factor for me. The company also supports volunteering during work hours for up to 4 hours per month, which allows me to be involved volunteering in my children's classroom.

Cons

Consensus driven decision-making can be a challenge to adjust to for employees coming from other organizations that have more top-down decision making.

There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!