There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk

I really enjoyed the culture, work environment, and the family-work life balance!

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My Regional Manager is a great manager! He is approachable, understanding when family commitments pop up. He is a true professional and has great managerial and people skills. They should clone my manager and have other managers be mentored by him. I received my first bonus, I was pleased.

Cons

Received my first raise after a year on the job, wasn't too impressed. Training courses were cut from our budget. I am eager to learn more about my current position and excel in more responsibility and leadership roles. I want to evolve faster than the company wants me too. But I understand budgets are tight and the company and industry is changing. I have high hopes!!!!!!! I want my position to be more than a job, but an exciting career.

Advice to Management

People are your most important asset. Never forget that. Please treat them well and with dignity, from the bottom to the top. You need to hire more managers like my current manager.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great People, Dysfunctional Management

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people doing the actual work. Most are highly committed to the products they are making and the industries they are serving. Lots of great ideas.

Cons

Constant reorganizations poor communication up and down the management chain little opportunity for advancement a tendency to throw the baby out with the bathwater every time there is some new direction lots of internal politics by managers trying to please their managers

Advice to Management

Calm down Respect experienced staff Empower your brilliant people. Give them more autonomy and responsibility rather than smother them with layers of approvals and reporting. Stop spending thousands to feel like you are saving money when you are only saving hundreds

Autodesk means well....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really great and smart people. It is a very respectful environment. Established and good employee programs - benefits etc. Some locations are very cool - Market Street, Pier 9, .Tel Aviv. it is an organization that values people, is respectful and wants to succeed. Working hard in some orgs to transform the business - feels like pushing a boulder up the hill. Some leaders are great and some are so weak it is almost a joke.

Cons

Political, allows people to float through the company, not great at bringing in new talent. CEO team is too engrained in the past - they are invested in the status quo. Not incented to do anything innovative. Carl Bass is smart and a great technical leader. They need a true visionary with some energy as CEO. No vision in the CTO org....it is more of a playground. How does that translate into important innovation or revenue. Pier 9 really?? spend millions and cannot hire new talent because there is not budget?....come on.....

Advice to Management

You are living in the most forward thinking technology geographic area in the world. You have an older org....nice and stable and stable. In comparison to your talent rivals you are a bit boring. too policy driven. While it is great you want to be fair to all employees - it is OK if one site is different from another. You can give hot dogs at lunch in Toronto (as an example I don't think they want hot dogs in Toronto) and not give them in Montreal! we are not a socialist nation. Reward wildly....give the high performers exceptional and delightful rewards! Make them want to stay and innovate. Quit rewarding mediocre employees. AND - change out some Sr leaders....yes you - on the CEO staff and others....shake it up. You brag about going through a transformation with the same leadership team - maybe not a good idea....? too concerned about the street and the reaction to our business.....my gosh take a chance! how can you ask your employees to be creative when you are not? Create some energy and have some fun. Hire someone to lead engineering - stop the conflicting goals of the divisions.....do you know the angst it causes and the wasted resources???? open your eyes Carl.