Autodesk

www.autodesk.com

Was a good company, but has degraded badly in the past few years.

Current Employee - Software QA Analyst  in  Manchester, NH
Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

The people here are GREAT...no problems there. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only good thing any more. Oh, and that folks can bring their dogs in to work...but most folks are much too busy to do so any more.

Cons

Salaries are so-so, not great, especially considering the long hours that are really needed to get our jobs done. Nice bennies package, though. Stock has basically been horizontal for several years, so, unless something changes drastically in the market, there's not much opportunity for earnings beyond salary and bonus (although the ESPP is decent).
Division reorganizations every year or so are an incredible waste of time and energy...seems like a low cost-benefit ratio, and a lot of wasted time. Very Dilbert.
Reviews are now rather rigid here: 20% of people get an "A", 70% get a "C", and 10% get an "F"...even if your whole group is stellar, or even if they are awful, 20% of them will get a great bonus and pay increase, and 10% will get neither. Guess the thing to do is make sure you join an under-performing group, then you'll have an easy time getting an "A". Seems like this could be handled with a little more finesse.
Most folks I know are just biding their time, waiting to escape from what was once a great company to work for. We really miss Carol Bartz!

Quit with the stupid re-org's, and quit drinking the Jack Welch Kool-Aid...we create software, we do not make lightbulbs...you cannot manage us like a manufacturing company and expect to be successful. Or, as many believe, are you really just ripening us for a takeover, so you can get your nice fat buyouts?

Other Reviews for Autodesk

Too much consensus, not enough accountability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

It's in Marin County
    You can bring your dog
    Autodesk has cool products

Cons

No career growth
    People seem to worry more about getting consensus than driving results
    Too many meetings and CYA
    Poor performers don't get managed out

Encourage people to take risks and worry less about getting everyone to agree to an approach. Groom people and promote from within.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

It is a growning company with free and respectful enviroment. The products and technology there are attractive. The salary is average.

Cons

No downsides actually. Everything is well.

There are many communication between senior management and its staff. No advice yet.

There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!