There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk

Was a good company, but has degraded badly in the past few years.

Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in Manchester, NH
Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

The people here are GREAT...no problems there. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only good thing any more. Oh, and that folks can bring their dogs in to work...but most folks are much too busy to do so any more.

Cons

Salaries are so-so, not great, especially considering the long hours that are really needed to get our jobs done. Nice bennies package, though. Stock has basically been horizontal for several years, so, unless something changes drastically in the market, there's not much opportunity for earnings beyond salary and bonus (although the ESPP is decent). Division reorganizations every year or so are an incredible waste of time and energy...seems like a low cost-benefit ratio, and a lot of wasted time. Very Dilbert. Reviews are now rather rigid here: 20% of people get an "A", 70% get a "C", and 10% get an "F"...even if your whole group is stellar, or even if they are awful, 20% of them will get a great bonus and pay increase, and 10% will get neither. Guess the thing to do is make sure you join an under-performing group, then you'll have an easy time getting an "A". Seems like this could be handled with a little more finesse. Most folks I know are just biding their time, waiting to escape from what was once a great company to work for. We really miss Carol Bartz!

Advice to Management

Quit with the stupid re-org's, and quit drinking the Jack Welch Kool-Aid...we create software, we do not make lightbulbs...you cannot manage us like a manufacturing company and expect to be successful. Or, as many believe, are you really just ripening us for a takeover, so you can get your nice fat buyouts?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

It is a growning company with free and respectful enviroment. The products and technology there are attractive. The salary is average.

Cons

No downsides actually. Everything is well.

Advice to Management

There are many communication between senior management and its staff. No advice yet.

No Career Growth Path

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

excellent benefits reputable company convenient location solid executive team great product excellent individual contributor level staff

Cons

very political organization corporate functions severely mismanaged ineffective performance review process extremely limited growth opportunities in certain functional roles

Advice to Management

stop playing favorites - recruit and retain top talent for their skills minimize the politics by rewarding those who don't play take an active interest in employees doing less glamorous jobs (corporate functions)