Autodesk

www.autodesk.com
  www.autodesk.com
There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk

Was a good company, but has degraded badly in the past few years.

Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in Manchester, NH
Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

The people here are GREAT...no problems there. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only good thing any more. Oh, and that folks can bring their dogs in to work...but most folks are much too busy to do so any more.

Cons

Salaries are so-so, not great, especially considering the long hours that are really needed to get our jobs done. Nice bennies package, though. Stock has basically been horizontal for several years, so, unless something changes drastically in the market, there's not much opportunity for earnings beyond salary and bonus (although the ESPP is decent).
Division reorganizations every year or so are an incredible waste of time and energy...seems like a low cost-benefit ratio, and a lot of wasted time. Very Dilbert.
Reviews are now rather rigid here: 20% of people get an "A", 70% get a "C", and 10% get an "F"...even if your whole group is stellar, or even if they are awful, 20% of them will get a great bonus and pay increase, and 10% will get neither. Guess the thing to do is make sure you join an under-performing group, then you'll have an easy time getting an "A". Seems like this could be handled with a little more finesse.
Most folks I know are just biding their time, waiting to escape from what was once a great company to work for. We really miss Carol Bartz!

Quit with the stupid re-org's, and quit drinking the Jack Welch Kool-Aid...we create software, we do not make lightbulbs...you cannot manage us like a manufacturing company and expect to be successful. Or, as many believe, are you really just ripening us for a takeover, so you can get your nice fat buyouts?

564 Other Employee Reviews for Autodesk (View Most Recent)

Too much consensus, not enough accountability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

It's in Marin County
    You can bring your dog
    Autodesk has cool products

Cons

No career growth
    People seem to worry more about getting consensus than driving results
    Too many meetings and CYA
    Poor performers don't get managed out

Encourage people to take risks and worry less about getting everyone to agree to an approach. Groom people and promote from within.

Like Movie Office Space

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

Good pay. Great products with strong market position. Good benefits. Flexibility about work schedule.

Cons

Lack of senior management alignment, paralyzing indecision/lack of leadership combined with pressure to "get things done". Highly political, with success based on loyalty and insider maneuvering rather than what's good for company. Lots of old timers who ignore newcomers.

Fire most of senior staff (VP/Senior Director level) and promote new blood: people who have ability to work together towards company goals rather than jockeying for your job. Enough with the cost cutting--tell Wall Street to screw themselves and focus on serving customers better.

There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk