There are newer employer reviews for Autodesk

Great work/life culture, but slow for software company, lots of red tape

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Excellent work life balance. They allow working from home, and allow a casual work environment. It's very much a "40 hour week" type of job. Good people , there are many "lifers" at Autodesk. Sabbatical (6 weeks straight off) every 4 years is a great perk. 12 days of PTO otherwise is not. Week of rest (between christmas and new years) is great.

Cons

You have to play the politics game well. There is a lot of red tape. Like any large organization, there are certainly inequities of promotions and favoritism. For a software company, it is a very "slow" organization. Change will not occur quickly, or even slowly.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Confused management, poor regard for employees and contractors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

The company takes two mandatory (unpaid) weeks off each year lately, for economic reasons, but it's a nice break for employees. In the Bay Area, there are several offices and the one in San Francisco is accessible to BART, Muni, busses, ferry, etc - great location.

Cons

HR does not talk to employees at all; I have seen some fighting to get their benefits for 6 months or more (we're talking basic benefits that all employees should have). Upper management changes strategy weekly and morale is sketchy as a result. People don't talk to one another and most have insecurity about their jobs. The level of disorganization is shocking for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. While working there I saw many people laid off with no explanation; this is highly disrepectful and confusing to those of us who continue to work there. You claim "sustainability" but should engage and educate your own employees on this.

Strange place, strange values, strange period.

Former Employee - QA Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - QA Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

flexible work hours
    nice people in general
    interesting, not cool, but interesting products
    Decent cafeteria food
    Bring your dog to work allowed

Cons

All I tell my friends and colleagues is stay away from the pit that is the IT department. It's a poisoned atmosphere, not a fun place to work, and are rather unforgiving of the slightest mistakes. PIP's and firings occur regularly. Fascinating how ANYONE makes it there for 5 years.

Managers are not really good managers or mentors, and watch your back with the employees, they are after you too!

I was told you have to move around a lot to stay alive there. Glad I didn't stay to find out.

Advice to Management

Change the place to a more humane place to work. Allow for learning moments, and get rid of the budget police. why does a manager spend 1/3rd of their time managing a budget at all. Strange place.