There are newer employer reviews for Autonomy

Autonomy - Road Warriors only need Apply

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Technical Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Autonomy is a fast paced company so caters to road warriors. They generally pull younger people out of college for their technical positions as these require being at customer sites weeks and months at a time. Other positions such as sales still require at least 50% travel. They do pay well so the work hard get paid well component is in place. If you are a person who enjoys different types of challenges on a consistent basis then this would be a good place to work for. They offer many different solutions and are always open to having their employees find a niche with a particular product.

Cons

If you don't like to travel probably not the company for you. Travel for sales, technical, and marketing on a consistent basis. No matching 401K (not that it matter much nowadays!). There tends to be some lack of communication between upper management and their workers. There really isn't a solid "chain of command" where reservations and issues are easily resolved. Things tend to fall in a black hole so a problem you identify more often than not becomes "your problem". Most of executive team in the UK are very successful but not overly willing to get input from everyday employees.

I think overall their strategy is very successful (take a look at their stock on the London stock exchange). That being said I think they leave money on the table through lack of training and need to listen to their employees to make the work environment a little bit better.

327 Other Employee Reviews for Autonomy (View Most Recent)

Good software company with a lot of growth potential in this though market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

I get to work wit one of the hottest technologies available out there today. The core products are successful, thus the company is doing comparatively well in this economy. Furthermore the company has a lot of growth potential, eventually

Cons

Due to the recent and some of the ongoing acquisitions, the company is quite decentralized. There are too many departments, and even more sub-departments under them. It is hard to figure out who is responsible for what. This eventually affects your job responsibilities, which are usually quite flexible.

Management needs to give more feedback back to the employees.

The British are coming! Run away as fast as you can!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

I came to Autonomy from an acquisition and I don't have anything good to say about Autonomy. I have a lot of great things to say about the company that they acquired and destroyed, a company that had solid management and friendly co-workers and good communication and no insane paranoid policies. They provide free lunch on Friday, whoopee.

Cons

Management in England is arrogant and short-sighted. They acquired us with no plan for integrating the business units, and most of us left already in less than a year. Autonomy does not understand our business or our customers, and they do not value the people. They have no long term plan for the business and just move from one fire drill to the next, yelling at anyone in firing range. They are paranoid and impose policies that make it clear they do not trust any of their employees. Autonomy has no annual review process for employees and no annual raise. I talked to some longtime employees who had never received a review or a raise in years. HR is nonexistent, just a revolving door of clueless young cannon fodder with no experience with benefits or employee issues. In 15 months at Autonomy, not a single email was sent to employees from any of the Brits regarding the corporate strategy or plans. There is almost no actual software development happening at Autonomy. It is all bug fixes after customers complain that the software does not work. Press releases are issued before anything is implemented, just hoping someone will buy the vaporware.

You cannot continue to acquire and destroy other companies, losing all corporate knowledge in the process. You should communicate with all employees and not treat us like cattle who can be led to the slaughterhouse and replaced with a new herd next week.

There are newer employer reviews for Autonomy