There are newer employer reviews for Autonomy

Not so great. need to improve a lot

Former Employee - Intern Development Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
Former Employee - Intern Development Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Autonomy as an intern for less than a year

Pros

accountability
pay
less number of people and hence you get to know every one and easy to reach
cafeteria is good and cheap
some teams are doing great job

Cons

no proper work culture.
bangalore office is dummy. Every single order has to come from head office.

326 Other Employee Reviews for Autonomy (View Most Recent)

Worst company ever worked for

I worked at Autonomy for more than a year

Pros

Honestly can't even think of anything positive of Autonomy, sadly. It had great brand name of Interwoven, people were great

Cons

In APAC, it was a nightmare. Past management prior HP acquisition was a total shocker. Poor leadership (locally and globally). Product marketing is half baked. Sales ppl ware asked to perform regardless. Unfortunately, this is not the place to be if you want to contribute to a proper working environment that you could excel in your career.

Listen to employees and customers.

Amazing culture change since previous management left - bright future ahead!

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Really smart & friendly co-workers
    - Great line managers
    - Great potential for growth
    - HP Software believe in treating employees like human beings - such a contrast to the old Autonomy way
    - Casual dress code
    - Exciting products to work on
    - Approachable senior management - any bottom-rung developer can go and chat to the CTO
    - Free lunch
    - Great opportunities to work with new technology

A year ago Autonomy was an awful place to work. It started changing on the day that Mike Lynch was fired. Let me have a little rant about him.... He had no idea how to run a technology company. He was a salesman, through and through - he even used to say "we're not a software company, we're a company that sells software". He had no idea how to manage people, either. He created a culture of fear, where whoever shouted the loudest (always senior management) got their way.

Shortly after he left, HP moved in. Since then they've forced Autonomy to do things properly. Product plans, roadmaps, not selling things that don't exist, only selling things that we can definitely deliver. Treating employees well. No arbitrary firings, shouting or forced overtime/weekend work. Heck, they're even about to introduce pay bands! Under the old regime pay was completely arbitrary and rarely increased. Under HP pay is linked to your job role, level and performance, with a review at the end of every year.

So, if I hated the old Autonomy so much, why did I stay for so long? I can think of three reasons:
    1) The forced overtime cost me my social life. My only friends were my co-workers. That made leaving a really scary prospect.
    - Forced overtime doesn't happen anymore, horray!
    2) My skills hadn't improved. Autonomy never did anything properly, so I felt that I wouldn't be able to get a job elsewhere as I was becoming a cowboy coder.
    - Under the new Autonomy, doing things properly has become a priority. My CV is a lot more robust now.
    3) It was my first job out of uni. I wasn't alone in that, either - Lynch's hiring policy was "fresh grads only, don't hire anyone with relevant experience". How was I to know that real software companies were better than Autonomy?

Cons

- Some managers haven't adjusted to the HP way yet
    - Previous management left the company in a horrible state
    - We're doing things now that we should have done five years ago... if only Mike Lynch & co had had a vision beyond "sell software make money" :(

Don't try to short change us when you adjust salaries to match pay bands. It might cost a lot of money, but you'll buy a lot of loyalty by paying us what we're worth. A company is the sum of it's employees - you can't afford to lose the ones who are holding it all together.

Apart from that, keep driving us hard. We're really loving actually having a vision and strategy for once!

There are newer employer reviews for Autonomy

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!