Autonomy

Fear and Loathing

Current Employee - Sales - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Sales - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Autonomy has one of the best software vertical offerings on the market - focused on content management, workflow and various indexing functions. The fast pace and constantly changing job make presenting this solution set interesting and the travel is usually to nice places via reasonable means. I've never had any trouble getting access to training or training materials - in fact I've got training lined up next month for our newest product.

Cons

1) Failure To Pay* I have been a high earner for the last 2 years; I have been really disappointed in the bonus structure. What we were told is that high producers will be compensated with incredible generosity. What has actually happened is that our commissions were taken away and replaced with bonuses that don't get paid. 2009 Q3 bonuses were 45 days late, and 2009 Q4 bonuses haven’t been paid yet and we were told not to expect them with next weeks paycheck either - pushing the lateness of this out past the 75 day mark. Our P/L statement was released weeks ago - still no money for those of us working the sales process. None of us can afford to leave/take new jobs until we get our bonuses so morale is really low right now. The other issue with the bonuses is that they are not transparent. It is not possible to estimate what the bonuses will look like - in fact HR says it can’t be calculated by employees. Our bonuses are calculated based on a secret formula of hours worked, profitability of deals, extra tasks completed and supervisor discretion. It’s really uncomfortable when there is no visibility into the compensation process.

2) Bad Messaging#1 *Autonomy’s messaging regarding its product set is fuzzy, and seems to be led by the marketing group, not by the markets. The partial move to the cloud-computing model is confusing to our customers and has questionable value to the majority of the customers I've spoken to. They have interpreted it as a ploy to charge monthly for something that used to be a straight purchase. Our content group sells CMS with the message “you should never host content outside the firewall." and our archiving group sells the new archiving products with the message "why would you ever want to host content onsite?". Confusing. Sometimes customers hear both messages in the same meeting. :(

3) Bad Messaging #2 * Our customers are told that growth is organic. This is simply and obviously not true. Growth is maintained through acquisition and marketing the expanded product library to the acquired customer book. The acquired software packages are Autonomized by rebranding and sometimes putting IDOL into the product.

4) Bad Sales Practice * Sales Executives are not given exclusive access to customers - and are not able to register opportunities. The issue with this is that very often we find 3 or 4 Autonomy reps in a customer at the same time talking to different groups - when the customer discovers this it never makes us look good. We either look like we’re trying to "end run" the purchasing process, or don't have sound communication in our organization.

Switch the SEs back to commission until the bonus plan gets figured out and is transparent. Promising bonuses or even hyping them up and then not paying is in violation of labor practices everywhere.

Allow the sales staff to register opportunities and own them without fear of competition from inside the company.

Completely rebuild the marketing organization.

Offer scheduled certificate path training in every product at least once a year. There is no training available for employees or customers for 2/3 of Autonomy products at this time. (MediaBin products, Virage products, E-Talk products, Cardiff products, Introspect, Digital Safe etc...)

Offer online training in every product to employees 24/7.

Make a decision about Digital Safe and either put it in the marketplace with reviews, support, documentation and training or stay quiet about it until its ready. Our existing archiving customers are upset because they think that they will loose access to the EAS product set. The sales organization doesn’t have clear messaging to deliver to them, there is unsubstantiated information on the web, no training and no demo environment to show it.

Create an incentive program for lead generation (by non - sales staff ) within the company such as a specific, targeted commission for a productive lead that is paid in a timely fashion - like at the end of the month that the software revenue is registered. The SEs are passing leads on to Clearwell because there is no incentive to give them to Autonomy - especially since the company has stopped paying bonuses.

326 Other Employee Reviews for Autonomy (View Most Recent)

Toxic culture and bad ethics

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Like a lot of people have mentioned here, I think the technology is great. The imaging and media offerings are really groundbreaking.

Cons

Also like alot of people have mentioned on this site, the management team is unapologetically abusive and unethical. For my large TF deals to be categorized as "not worth the time to talk about" is offensive. For me to get shut out of those deals so they can be wrapped up in an big CMS deal is unethical. I know several other AEs who have cultivated large deals that have had them ripped away at the signing phase as a gife to one of the "inner circle".

Sell to a major and perhaps the toxic management culture of this company can be turned around. The company is doing well right now. Imagine how unstoppable we would be if people really loved the comany and worked out of personal drive rather than fear and intimidation. For that to happen an entirely new management culture has to come around.

I never heard a good word about this company from my co workers...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

great products and technology. Pay is ok.

Cons

Everything is revenue driven. The company doesn't really care about its employees or try to cultivate a better working environment. No matter how hard you work, how productive you are, if you are not one of those "talkers", you will never be seen or be heard. They don't even have a performance review system, can you believe that? They spend so much time and effort having meetings to make sure their slaves are doing their job. Why not give them a fair performance review each year? And if your managers are not one of those CEOs or VPs, who care if you are doing a good job? Middle management basically has no power and no voice whatsoever. This is a place with poorest communication and lowest motivation.

Maybe they should consider hiring a management consultant company to get a better advice on how to make this company a better work place.

There are newer employer reviews for Autonomy