Autonomy

The Worst Working Environment in Enterprise Software

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Autonomy's stock price is doing very well. They have good benefits and pay well, especially for Sales people on commission.

Cons

I came to Autonomy via an acquisition, like many on Glassdoor. Autonomy's paranoia and arcane business policies were apparent from day one. For experienced software veterans Autonomy's policies are unworkable. Sales is cutthroat, reps are told to sell anything the customer will buy. Marketing is told to invent new products via press releases. Engineering is told to stop all development not related to Autonomy's only product, Idol. It's difficult express just how awful the work environment is at Autonomy without experiencing it directly. The bullying that comes from HQ in the UK is a source of pride from the CEO and there are a team of executives in Cambridge that spend all day bullying sales and marketing with their snarky attitude.

Offering advice is a waste of time since it falls on deaf ears. If you had kept the management from some of your prior acquisitions, things might be much different right now, and you might not be losing all your employees. Not that you care.

335 Other Employee Reviews for Autonomy (View Most Recent)

Not the best place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Compensation and hands-off management - until a single bad month.

Cons

Baby-sitting, complete and utter distrust for employees, removal of information from employees' hands, all the power resides in the UK, mass exodus of employees

Trust people and make Autonomy a decent place to work.

Fear and Loathing

Current Employee - Sales - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Autonomy has one of the best software vertical offerings on the market - focused on content management, workflow and various indexing functions. The fast pace and constantly changing job make presenting this solution set interesting and the travel is usually to nice places via reasonable means. I've never had any trouble getting access to training or training materials - in fact I've got training lined up next month for our newest product.

Cons

1) Failure To Pay* I have been a high earner for the last 2 years; I have been really disappointed in the bonus structure. What we were told is that high producers will be compensated with incredible generosity. What has actually happened is that our commissions were taken away and replaced with bonuses that don't get paid. 2009 Q3 bonuses were 45 days late, and 2009 Q4 bonuses haven’t been paid yet and we were told not to expect them with next weeks paycheck either - pushing the lateness of this out past the 75 day mark. Our P/L statement was released weeks ago - still no money for those of us working the sales process. None of us can afford to leave/take new jobs until we get our bonuses so morale is really low right now. The other issue with the bonuses is that they are not transparent. It is not possible to estimate what the bonuses will look like - in fact HR says it can’t be calculated by employees. Our bonuses are calculated based on a secret formula of hours worked, profitability of deals, extra tasks completed and supervisor discretion. It’s really uncomfortable when there is no visibility into the compensation process.

2) Bad Messaging#1 *Autonomy’s messaging regarding its product set is fuzzy, and seems to be led by the marketing group, not by the markets. The partial move to the cloud-computing model is confusing to our customers and has questionable value to the majority of the customers I've spoken to. They have interpreted it as a ploy to charge monthly for something that used to be a straight purchase. Our content group sells CMS with the message “you should never host content outside the firewall." and our archiving group sells the new archiving products with the message "why would you ever want to host content onsite?". Confusing. Sometimes customers hear both messages in the same meeting. :(

3) Bad Messaging #2 * Our customers are told that growth is organic. This is simply and obviously not true. Growth is maintained through acquisition and marketing the expanded product library to the acquired customer book. The acquired software packages are Autonomized by rebranding and sometimes putting IDOL into the product.

4) Bad Sales Practice * Sales Executives are not given exclusive access to customers - and are not able to register opportunities. The issue with this is that very often we find 3 or 4 Autonomy reps in a customer at the same time talking to different groups - when the customer discovers this it never makes us look good. We either look like we’re trying to "end run" the purchasing process, or don't have sound communication in our organization.

Switch the SEs back to commission until the bonus plan gets figured out and is transparent. Promising bonuses or even hyping them up and then not paying is in violation of labor practices everywhere.

Allow the sales staff to register opportunities and own them without fear of competition from inside the company.

Completely rebuild the marketing organization.

Offer scheduled certificate path training in every product at least once a year. There is no training available for employees or customers for 2/3 of Autonomy products at this time. (MediaBin products, Virage products, E-Talk products, Cardiff products, Introspect, Digital Safe etc...)

Offer online training in every product to employees 24/7.

Make a decision about Digital Safe and either put it in the marketplace with reviews, support, documentation and training or stay quiet about it until its ready. Our existing archiving customers are upset because they think that they will loose access to the EAS product set. The sales organization doesn’t have clear messaging to deliver to them, there is unsubstantiated information on the web, no training and no demo environment to show it.

Create an incentive program for lead generation (by non - sales staff ) within the company such as a specific, targeted commission for a productive lead that is paid in a timely fashion - like at the end of the month that the software revenue is registered. The SEs are passing leads on to Clearwell because there is no incentive to give them to Autonomy - especially since the company has stopped paying bonuses.

There are newer employer reviews for Autonomy