The Worst Working Environment in Enterprise Software

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Autonomy's stock price is doing very well. They have good benefits and pay well, especially for Sales people on commission.

Cons

I came to Autonomy via an acquisition, like many on Glassdoor. Autonomy's paranoia and arcane business policies were apparent from day one. For experienced software veterans Autonomy's policies are unworkable. Sales is cutthroat, reps are told to sell anything the customer will buy. Marketing is told to invent new products via press releases. Engineering is told to stop all development not related to Autonomy's only product, Idol. It's difficult express just how awful the work environment is at Autonomy without experiencing it directly. The bullying that comes from HQ in the UK is a source of pride from the CEO and there are a team of executives in Cambridge that spend all day bullying sales and marketing with their snarky attitude.

Advice to Management

Offering advice is a waste of time since it falls on deaf ears. If you had kept the management from some of your prior acquisitions, things might be much different right now, and you might not be losing all your employees. Not that you care.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not the best place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Compensation and hands-off management - until a single bad month.

Cons

Baby-sitting, complete and utter distrust for employees, removal of information from employees' hands, all the power resides in the UK, mass exodus of employees

Advice to Management

Trust people and make Autonomy a decent place to work.

Toxic culture and bad ethics

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Like a lot of people have mentioned here, I think the technology is great. The imaging and media offerings are really groundbreaking.

Cons

Also like alot of people have mentioned on this site, the management team is unapologetically abusive and unethical. For my large TF deals to be categorized as "not worth the time to talk about" is offensive. For me to get shut out of those deals so they can be wrapped up in an big CMS deal is unethical. I know several other AEs who have cultivated large deals that have had them ripped away at the signing phase as a gife to one of the "inner circle".

Advice to Management

Sell to a major and perhaps the toxic management culture of this company can be turned around. The company is doing well right now. Imagine how unstoppable we would be if people really loved the comany and worked out of personal drive rather than fear and intimidation. For that to happen an entirely new management culture has to come around.