Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and people. Strong focus on training and development. Lots of opportunity to move around - need to build a strong network within the company Competitive salary and benefits. If you like change, this company will keep you busy and challenged.

Cons

If you don't like a lot of change, this is not the place for you. Direction and focus changes rapidly and regularly. Still a young company so they are figuring out how to retain entrepreneurial culture yet establish consistency and structure. This can be frustrating. Work life balance can be tough in some roles/departments.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great company

Former Employee - Internet Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Internet Consultant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great company-leader in their field-great marketing and advertising campaigns

Cons

hard to say anything negative about thsi company

Advice to Management

none

Once a great experience, now its corporate drudgery

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Columbia, SC

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, or it used to be.. Now its average.

Cons

Where do I start.. This company used to be a great company, it was fun , lots of promotion potential and growth on so many levels. Now it’s a corporate disaster. They got in bed with a vulture capital company and now its about nothing but bottom line profits. The CEO that envisioned this company left because of the BS and if that doesn't tell you something I don't know what does. Upper management is totally disconnected from the field and does not listen to their feedback or its customer’s wants and needs. There has always been a large degree of cronyism and the good ole boy network, which is stronger now than it’s ever been. The company has an arrogant view of itself and its product desirability. It’s just not the end all be all way to sell cars and if they would acknowledge that, they could be more effective at being strategic against their competition. They are overpriced compared to so much of their competition. The dealer customers have a chip on their shoulder towards Autotrader due to years of constant price hikes and changing their sales pitch to fit the situation. You will get a territory and for a while you may meet the goals which are ever increasing, but your territory is not ever increasing nor is the budgets of your clients. I took a scorched territory from destitute to billing over 120k per month and pretty much every dealer in my market was signed up and upsold several times, once I got the sponge full and could no longer get any more water in it, meaning I sold everybody that was going to be sold and upsold everybody that was going to be upsold, I was treated as a jerk because I could no longer meet the new business goals. The regional director would not even visit the territories to see for himself what the dealers concerns were and how good I was at my job.. I still get calls from my former clients complaining about Autotrader. I'm sure it’s still decent if you are buddies with someone in a high position.. Commission gets smaller and smaller every 6 months. Lots of people are making 1/2 what they did a few years ago and working much harder. Managers are very ineffective , they usually get their jobs because they have friends in high places.

Advice to Management

Listen to the field, and humble yourself.. Cars.com works just as good and True Car is better at new cars. Acknowledge that not loosing any business is doing a good job especially when the rep built the entire account base for said market