There are newer employer reviews for Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Wrong People, Wrong Emphasis for Success in the Pharmaceutical Development Business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Pros

For the moment, Auxilium Pharmaceuticals is still a small company in terms of interaction with managment, level of personal responsibility , empowerment and challenge in the job and (to a more limited extent), flexibility in working practices. The level of kindness and respectful behavior is unprecedentedly high in my work experience. Daily free lunch and company-sponsored fitness center membership (occasionally at odds with each other :o)!) are nice perquisites.

Cons

The emphasis on getting things done not just quickly, but in a ridiculously expedited fashion leads to mistakes, frequently serious, and an overall lack of quality in the end products. This has resulted in part from too much investment in Project Management and Sales (at the expense of investment in projects to manage and sell!), in part from "holdover nepotism" on the part of the company's founder, which placed inexperienced and/or unqualified people in key management roles, and in part from woeful ignorance on the part of past and present management regarding the whole process of drug development.

Success in this business these days requires a vision beyond the present development candidate. Adding indications, regardless of market size, will not support growth; patents DO expire eventually! Slow down and do things right from the beginning.

10 Other Employee Reviews for Auxilium Pharmaceuticals (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Medical Sales Consultant in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Medical Sales Consultant in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Pros

The management is great. They say you don't quit your job, you quit your boss. My manager is an excellent person who I not only consider my boss, but he's also my mentor and my friend. I have an excellent opportunity for career growth and the company really encourages you to constantly educate yourself. The salary and incentive compensation can not only be considered fair, but they are very competitive. The benefits are great. Great insurance, company car, and corporate expense account. It is a very competitive work environment. You are rewarded and compensated for your hard work! Great place to work.

Cons

The 401k plan is not very good. They don't match much of what you decide to invest. The entire work day is spent traveling in a car (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are tired of office life). This can get lonely sometimes. It seems like lately I have been been listening to a lot of talk radio during the day to keep me occupied in the car. Since this is a "sales" position, there can be constant rejection from the doctors that you are speaking with. Also, this industry is volatile because it is based not simply on the success of the company, but also the political landscape and the insurance industry.

Communication is key. Since you don't live near your manager, and you don't work in an office, effecient communication is only done via electronic means. But other than that, my senior manager is one of the best managers that I have ever had. Honestly. The management in this company (from my experience) are competent, and genuine people. Take that comment with a grain of salt because I have only met roughly 10 members of management.

Not a culture of meritocracy

I have been working at Auxilium Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Experience in small biotech environment

Cons

People not held accountable for their actions

Develop a culture of meritocracy and stop nepotism

There are newer employer reviews for Auxilium Pharmaceuticals