Avago Technologies

www.avagotech.com

Great engineers hamstrung by incompetent management.

(Former Employee)

ProsTechnical staff is very proficient at their work; you are working with experts in your field with state-of-the-art technology. Most colleagues are willing to help you out. Pay and benefits are reasonable.

ConsLower/middle management is comprised of many former technically-oriented engineers who do not understand the realities of business, resulting in major blunders when dealing with business-related issues. Engineers are then repeatedly forced to clean up their mess, often with unreasonable schedules and demands. Managers are not sympathetic to their plight and aggravatingly continue to commit the same errors again. And some of these "smart" managers lack people skills (they have high IQ but low EQ) and alienate their subordinates, resulting in significant employee turnover.

Executive management makes decisions primarily based on numbers (financial) and tries to quantify all aspects of business. Intangible aspects are ignored during analysis, such as employee morale, despite the real effect it has on employee productivity and turnover. And the company tends to focus more on short-term profits rather than long-term investments.

Career growth for employees is limited, and you likely will get stuck in one area without opportunities to expand into other areas. The company doesn't develop its technical staff; instead, it just hires (and fires) technical expertise as needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood engineers don't necessarily make good managers. Make sure you promote people with business-sense/common-sense so that they will make good decisions as managers. Don't be afraid to eliminate bad managers- they do more damage being kept around. And take into account employee morale when making decisions.

average

ASIC Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Avago Technologies

Pros: stable company with reasonable pay and benefit Cons: some jobs in Singapore have limited job scope and limited… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Pretty satisfied with what I'm doing but budget is always tight.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Avago Technologies

Pros: My manager is pretty flexible in terms of taking time off. It… Cons: The department I'm working tends to be constantly on a tight budget and some times the decision made by management make me feels… Advice to Senior Management: Don't try to save on small money; it doesn't help… More
There are newer reviews on Avago Technologies.

Worked for Avago Technologies? Contribute to the Community!