Avalara

www.avalara.com
  www.avalara.com
There are newer employer reviews for Avalara

Many atypically smart, kind, dedicated putting in heroic efforts to solve a huge, real problem.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avalara full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are the best thing about the company. While there is a little bit of the usual griping that goes on in any high-pressure workplace, it's striking just how warm-hearted, professional, and capable the workforce as a whole is.

The company itself is in a great position and on the right track but it's not a guaranteed thing. They are in a relatively uncontested position to dominate an greenfield SaaS space, but they will need to execute masterfully to lock-in their advantage. It will be hard to meet that bar, but if they do the potential externalities that accrue will be disruptive, game changing, buzzword-of-the-week-worthy.

Cons

Avalara is growing up into a big-kid company now and throughout the near future, and that is always an awkward process no matter how hard to keep things running smoothly. There are a lot of people running around with their hair on fire -- some of them for good reason, but others just because it seemed like what everyone else was doing.

Oh, and there is no parking. But Bainbridge Island is so awesome, and the office is so great, that I'd call that a wash.

Streamline the vision (not the mission statement, the direct operational goals) and provide better visibility into that operational strategy all the way down the org chart.

Sweep out the cruft that's accumulated in software and start making some bolder moves. Have cross-functional project teams or even happy hours to spread organizational knowledge and camaraderie.

88 Other Employee Reviews for Avalara (View Most Recent)

Interesting work, great people

Current Employee - Attorney in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Attorney in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avalara full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with make or break a job, and I've been lucky enough to work with great people here. Opportunities to grow professionally are significant, and the environment is more collaborative than competitive.

Cons

Ferry commute Seattle to Bainbridge Island is difficult when combined with long hours. If you are not from the Pacific Northwest, short daylight hours and consistent cloud cover can make the otherwise mild winters an unexpected challenge.

Keep on taking risks with smart junior level employees, and they'll work hard to earn the opportunities they are given.

Great Idea, horrible implementation!

Former Employee - Information Technology in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avalara full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got to work with a ton of cool technology. I worked with a good team of people before we either quit or got forced out of the company. The only good benefit was a Orca Card (Bus Pass) for cheap.

Cons

The company has way too many politics going on. Putting people in senior level positions that have no relevant experience. Avalara is a marketing company not a technology company. While I was there I was expected to work insane hours. I was already working 60+ weeks including the weekends, and a high level director was given an option of continuing to work on option A, or work on option B and delay option A. His answer was why can't they work through the night. That is ridiculous. They forced out good experience people because the clashed with upper management who didn't know what they were doing. I have never seen entire departments leave because of upper management.

Just because someone has an idea doesn't mean its a good idea.

There are newer employer reviews for Avalara